PDA

View Full Version : seat recovering help needed

waterfowler
01-01-2003, 10:07 PM
I bought a new seat cover for my X and tried to put it on today. Well I thought that my 10 amp staplegun would do the job with 1/4" staples, but I was wrong. The gun can't put the staple into the plastic under the seat. Does anyone know of a good way to do this?
Thanks,

skippy
01-01-2003, 10:11 PM
yepp, take it to a shop, they will bang it out in 10-15 minutes.. and charge around $10... that is what mine charges...they will use a air stapler...

KLT Man
01-02-2003, 01:56 AM
I cut sharp edges on each staple. It will stick into the plastic, just follow with a nail punch. It takes a while, so you may want to take it to an upholstery shop.

ATC'R
01-02-2003, 02:30 AM
The key is to make sure that you buy 1/4 "Chisel Point" or sometimes called "Power Point" staples. Take them out of the box and look at them if your not sure. Also make sure that you bring the seat plastic into the house to warm up or heat it with a hair dryer if it is really cold outside as this will make a big difference as well. I have done many seat covers in my day using just a manual stapler and have never had a problem. Good Luck....

Mobular
01-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Contact Cement...

waterfowler
01-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Well I talked to two local shops and they both want $15.00. Which isn't that bad, however I figured that I have 3 trikes to put seat covers on and that would be $45.00. Well Menards is having a 20% off sale and that includes the Campbell/Hausfeld air nailer I bought for $46.00. What the heck it gave me a reason to buy another tool.
Thanks for all the sugestions!

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2003, 01:28 PM
I recover my seats with Marine Vinyl at a fabric store, it costs 6$ in any color. I heat it up with a hair dryer and run the grain the right way and stretch it over the foam and plastic. Electric staple guns don't seem to penetrate like a manual one does. Sometimes I have to bang the staples in a little farther with a hammer. I apply the every 3/4 inch.

jeswinehart
01-04-2003, 07:53 PM
there ya go waterfowler ! i was thinking as i read down the postings on this subject and you done just what the mrs. and i done bout a year ago.
we have done sevral seats for friends and the "donations" themselves have paid for the air stapler, air nailer (brad type) plus we have done sevral of my seating projects.
now there is some good replys above as well.

john
( i set a personel best at eletric stapler throw 3 years ago. 45 yards from top of my roof to the back yard . i was trying to put sheathing paper down and it turned into a record setting moment for me (lmao) )))