PDA

View Full Version : hello from a new user a couple???

conig
08-19-2004, 03:34 PM
hello my name is Matt and I am from tallahassee FL. I started riding 3 wheelers on a 83 70cc honda atc, and later moved to a 125 suzuki. I have recently aquired back that original 70cc and a 85 honda es 250 bigred that my dad rode. I have never owned a quad and look forward to getting both these running. someday I might have a son to ride the 70cc and the 250 should be a much needed way to blow off some steam. If you don't know the anwsers to my questions feel free to introduce yourself. sorry for the long post.

anyway here are some of my questions. neither of these trikes have ran for a good three years. I have not yet started reviving the 70 as I feel that one will be easier. I replaced the battery in the big red and have cleaned the carb, purchased a new battery and repainted the frame. I can get this motor to turn over but it won't fire off anything but starter fluid. I beleive on of the jets is clogged as most are and I could get all but one free flowing. I ordered a rebuild kit from dennis kurk off road and will be rebuilding the carb tonight. Do you guys think this will get her to fire up and run?

Also I am in need of new exhaust as the muffler is rusted out and I also need a new front tire as the factory fresh 20 year old split as the three wheeler sat in a barn with no air in it. I am thinking mudlites if anybody has had these let me know how they worked. I am leaning towards a mud tire but if some type of all terrain is better I'm open to suggestions. the rear end has turf taimers now and I will move on of those to the front wheel were the original tire was. Also I would like to get as much power as I can from this motor without boring it out so if anyone knows of a good performance exhaust let me know. the only one I found was from cobra and its there megaphone system.

for sh$ts how much does it cost to boor out a motor and throw in a bigger piston? how much displacement can I increase.

thanks and any and all help is appreciated.

threewheelin-feelin
08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
hey welcome to the site. now im no expert by any means haha but i know you need to check for fire check your plug and make sure its a little wet and also check your compression. your compresion sould be 142-170 psi. hope that helps some.

200xalltheway
08-19-2004, 04:28 PM
welcome to the bored :p :TrikesOwn

Tri-Z Pilot
08-19-2004, 04:36 PM
welcome aboard! It sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem, you are going in the right direction with a carb rebuild kit. I also suggest a new airfilter,sparkplug and oil change I wouldnt go boring it, you probably wont see much power from that. Check out www.powroll.com (I think that is the name). They use to have 300 big bore kits for the 250sx (same motor as big red) complete with a whole new cylinder and jug, you might want to look into getting a new cam also (if they still offer them). As for exhaust, I think cobra is going to be your only option. I dont think you should get a mud tire for the front it probably will give off a lot of vibration and head shake. Check out www.denniskirk.com they have atv everything, well anyways good luck!

conig
08-19-2004, 04:48 PM
hey thanks for the welcomes and the help. now my lack of grammer must have caused some miscomunication.

I was going to get mud tires for the back end. its cheaper to get one front so if someone has a good suggestion or size make it.

the plug fires, changed the oil, ordered a new moose filter with the rebuild kit. I have tommorrow off and hopefully the beast will fire up and get ready. I not sure about the compression, my dad has a tester but lives in a different town.

the motor should still fire with low compression just make little power correct?

sucks about the exhaust there head pipe is like stock and black I was hopeing for a nice thick performance style you see on the 350x's dirt bicks with the expanding head pipe.

I wouldn't mind a knobbed read tire with larger knobs then the little ones on the turf taimers.

conig
08-19-2004, 05:10 PM
sorry to keep posting stuff. the front rim is I beleive a 9x9 whats the thinest tire I can run? I have 25-12.00's in the rear now.

BigGreenMachine
08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
www.maxxis.com
www.itptires.com

Take a look on these sites for tires and welcome to the board. Check out the picture pages and reader's rigs section for some cool SX's. Also sign up on www.3wheeler.org for more great info.

One more piece of advice would be to buy a service manual from Clymer to help you with any small do it yourself items as well as major problems.

Hope you like the board and benefit greatly from it.