PDA

View Full Version : 200m sprocket question

mevaters
08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Hey the front sprocket on a 200m, what comes with it, what are the parts that should be on the shaft other than just the sprocket itself? The chain on the bike i just got today kept popping off so I checked it and the front sprocket was loose and could wiggle. When I took it off all there was was the sprocket and one (i don't know what its called) metal piece screwed into the front of the sprocket to keep it from coming off but nothing behind the sprocket to keep it from moving back and forth. Is there supposed to be one of the metal pieces on both sides or is there more? Also the thread or grooves in the middle of the sprocket where you put it on the shaft, are those grooves supposed to be the same as the metal piece used to hold the sprocket on? Because when I line up the screw holes on the sprocket and the metal piece the groves are not the same and when they are the same the screw holes are off by about half an inch. Thanks rob.

Howdy
08-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Hey the front sprocket on a 200m, what comes with it, what are the parts that should be on the shaft other than just the sprocket itself? The chain on the bike i just got today kept popping off so I checked it and the front sprocket was loose and could wiggle. When I took it off all there was was the sprocket and one (i don't know what its called) metal piece screwed into the front of the sprocket to keep it from coming off but nothing behind the sprocket to keep it from moving back and forth. Is there supposed to be one of the metal pieces on both sides or is there more? Also the thread or grooves in the middle of the sprocket where you put it on the shaft, are those grooves supposed to be the same as the metal piece used to hold the sprocket on? Because when I line up the screw holes on the sprocket and the metal piece the groves are not the same and when they are the same the screw holes are off by about half an inch. Thanks rob.

The little metal piece is called a sprocket keeper / lock. On the output shaft there is a groove all the way around. The sprocket keeper when mounted properly ( bolted to the sprocket ) locks into this goove. This keeps the sprocket from coming off. It also keeps the sprocket from moving towards the back. No spacers needed. ;)

From your post above it sounds like everything is as it should be. Normally there shouldn't be much play in the sprocket to the shaft. Being as the machine is at least 18 years old you can bet there will be some wear causing some play.
I hope this helps.
Howdy