PDA

View Full Version : Lighten Up

88 Turbo Coupe
08-15-2004, 07:57 PM
What can I do to lighten up my 250r? So far I got wrid of the headlight, stock exhaust. I put on a FMF pipe and silencer and a set of carbon fiber wheels on the back. I also want to replace the light/on/off swicth. What else can i do?

H.M.F.I.C.
08-15-2004, 08:14 PM
What year model is it? You could try finding an aluminum swingarm. Are you lightening it up for drag racing or MX. I saw one ATC 250R for drags only on ebay where they drilled holes through the frame tubes and the swingarm, installed a billet aluminum rod in place of the rear shock, and removed the fork spings. Like I said, drag only.

smokinp
08-15-2004, 08:15 PM
why would you want to lighten up a 250R?if they are any lighter then you wont be able to keep the front tire down(hard enough stock)

88 Turbo Coupe
08-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Just for MX. Thats all I do. I put a Superlift 6'' Swingarm on it to help keep th e front down . I think the 250r is a pretty heavy ride. If I could shave 10 to 15 lbs. that would be cool. I dont have a problem going fast. Its a 85 bored w/a cool head.

deathman53
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
go with a aftermarket swinger, 190 rims, aluminium rear hubs, aftermarket carrier, pipe and silencer, right there you got almost 10 pounds, you could also have a titanium swingarm and front axle made, another 2-3 pounds. I realy don't see the need to lighten them up much and keeping the front down isn't much of a problem, I got a 330 and the front isn't too hard for me to keep down, I weight about 190 lbs. ALso a aftermarket shock is probably a bit lighter, you also might want to try and find a short track kit, you could also have a aluminium subframe made. There is more like bolts and custom fab front hub, titanium axle, the depth of your pocket is the limit. If you really had deep pockets a aluminium frame made.

350xsx
08-15-2004, 08:49 PM
if its for MX isnt +6 a tad long?and what company is superlift?arent they a truck company for lift kits, shocks and stuff

350xsx
08-15-2004, 08:51 PM
haha i was just down in englishtown today, we went to the flea market for a little while but i had to get back to the farm so i was only there rreal quick

deathman53
08-15-2004, 09:30 PM
I was sitting home all day today, was gonna go to chatts, but woke up and rain, so went back to sleep. got to ride yesterday at chatts got some strange looks, but wasn't going gung ho because I have ridden in a month and had to break-in the motor. this guy on a banchee was impressed even when I was not going full throttle!!!! the last time I rode was a month ago and that was with a 200x, talk about a huge difference!!!! Oh and by the way, I can't stand the auction, I haven't gone there is about 4 years.

88 Turbo Coupe
08-16-2004, 06:21 AM
I never rode a 250r with a 6 inch swingarm. I want to see for myself if I like it. So I bought one. Maybe instead of cutting some weight of, Just spend some money on a high HP engine. I also got wrid of the heavy weight stainless steel bolts the previous owner put on.

88 Turbo Coupe
08-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Doesn't a lighter bike handle better??