PDA

View Full Version : A tear-jerking Big Red story

leprogle
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Hmmm, I don't know where to begin with this one. My friend just bought an 83 Big Red for $500. At first look, to me it just looked like it needed a little tlc. A seat cover, and a couple fender repairs, etc. However, I had the pleasure of helping him put the rear bearings in, (it kept throwing the chain).
His fix-it plans made me almost want to cry. He say about welding this, welding that, grinding this off, etc.
When we took the tires off, I was shocked to see what should have been round tubing making up the rear end, was bits of square tubing, all welded together, replacing the old rotted frame, it must've been driven in salt water.
The axle carrier had no grease in it. and there wasn't even any bearing seals, just the bearings.
He had taken the lid off his airbox because it wasn't getting enough air, instead of a clamp to hold the air filter in place, a stick was wedged in behind it, and to keep the stick from moving, an empty quart of oil was partly flattened, and the seat held that in place
Oh, and the seat, it actually had a new seat cover on it, it was made of roofing insulation paper, and the bracket was broken off in the front, and a bungee cord was utilized in keeping it on tight.
The battery was dead, so rather than buying the correct battery, a car battery was stuck in the tool box, and the wires going to it didn't even have tape, marrette's or anything, they were just twisted together.
And a final humorous note, where the exhaust and header go together, a large washer was welded to each side, and a spring pulling the 2 together was used to keep the joint tight.
I think that concludes my tale, if I think of anything else, you prolly wouldn't want to hear it, it would just be too saddening.
From the looks of things, this big red has had a hard life, and knowing my friend, it's only going to get worse :(

smokinp
08-14-2004, 02:04 AM
this big red has had a hard life, and knowing my friend, it's only going to get worse wow! :Evil that makes me mad too think that someone would do that,I think that the person that did the awful deed to that pooor big red should get a good slap!

jeswinehart
08-14-2004, 08:13 AM
it sure sounds rough to say the least leprogle ,,, wow !
where you with him when he made the purchase and how is the motor ,,, okay shape ???
i picked up a 84 bigred in the spring that's pretty rough for a fall project but at least it's not all cobbled up.

john

leprogle
09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Nah, i wasn't with him when he bought it, he just said he got one, i saw it a couple times, went biking with him, and then when we went to put the bearings in, was when I got to see it's numerous crazy riggins

rob0781
09-21-2004, 01:58 AM
damn ,you shoulda went with him,$500 is crazy that bigred sounds more like a parts trike...

olive123
09-21-2004, 06:10 AM
well...i am parting out an 82 big red as we speak. My frame was completely repainted and no rust. he can have it for 25 bucks. an i have all other parts some already on ebay

83200e
09-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Hope he got some vaseline with that deal.

TrikeKid
09-22-2004, 12:12 AM
buy it or trikenap it or something that trike doesnt deserve such punishment.

rob0781
10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
So is this still running?

threewheelin-feelin
10-16-2004, 04:15 PM
:( :( :(

MTS
10-16-2004, 04:31 PM
:confused: :twisted: your friend should geta good slap and told how to take care of a bike..its idiots like him that wreck everything...well actually..my friends cousins had all thses dirt bikes and sleds and what not..every time one of them broke they thew it in the LAKE behind there house..iv never met them but man i wana give em a good butt kickn