PDA

View Full Version : A few questions......again

cajun66
08-13-2004, 09:32 PM
I am having to tear myself away from the ATC untill I can work out the problems I'm having with the carb. No matter what I try she still runs rich. I'm killing mosquitoes with the fuel smoke from the pipe. A couple people have told me that the main jet is worn out and the needle is not seating enough to meter the gas. I can't get the main jet at the local dealer. Now for my questions...

1: Are there any online suppliers of parts for my '83 185S?
2: Where is the fuel filter supposed to be located?
3: What is the crankcase capacity (motor oil)?

TrikerR
08-13-2004, 09:39 PM
what year is it

what kind of fuel filter...if you mean inline fuel filter then it should on the fule line between the tank and the carb or do you mean the little circular one that sits behind the petcock.

TrikerR
08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
dont worry about the year...i just wasnt concentrating

for the parts you can try www.denniskirk.com
or your local honda dealer

n8dizzle2003
08-13-2004, 10:26 PM
pretty sure that the crankcase holds around a quart of oil, and I got a 2 new main jets with a card rebuild kit. It set me back about 25 bucks and I believe it was Moose brand name.

Wickedfinger
08-14-2004, 12:34 AM
A couple people have told me that the main jet is worn out and the needle is not seating enough to meter the gas.

That would be an extremely unlikely thing. Jets don't wear out. The needle however might be bent. See the thing is - something physical has to occur to cause this. Dirt or varnish won't do this. Unless you were in there poking around with something sharp, its highly unlikely. I would pull the carb off and really clean the crap out of it. I do have to ask, are you sure its "Rich" smoke and not oil related.

cajun66
08-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty positive it's fuel smoke. I have been a mechanic for over a decade and specializing in old aircooled volkswagens which have given me similar issues.

83185s
08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
u cant get the main jets at trailprotrailpro dealer?? thats odd...there 3.95 here at the honda shop..and 6 somethin if u want t o order from the closer atv shop...wat size u need...98 i think? u can try denniskirk.com i think they got them and prolly chapparral-racing.com...mine does the same thing man...i wouldnt worry bout it..lol...except that moine burns the plugs real fast...im talkin 5 minute fast...so i think ima get a rebuild kit or just an oversize jet seein as how mines bored 30 over