PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my 85 250R look really clean?

phatcat600
08-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Its in decent shape, Ill need new plastic for sure. Should I stick wiht OEM plastics or should I go with some other color maier? Im honestly not a fan of the red and blue, I like red and black better but Im not sure if it would look right on an ATC. What do you guys recommend? Also, if I ditched the blue is there a way to get a different color fork guard?

My engine is mostly black, but the black is coming off in somme spots. How hard is it to paint the engine?

What do I do about my rear axle? It looks really cruddy.

vartiak15
08-12-2004, 05:46 PM
the black and red looks good man. my 200x looks good and it is black and red.

clong
08-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I think its best to keep your trike as original looking as posible. Thats the goal here. Bring back the 80's. I think you'll notice here at this website that the most admired and appreciated machines are the cleanest factory original looking trikes. The Maier plastic is good but its not the same OEM color even in red and the Maier stuff doesn't fit like the OEM plastic so if you can wet sand restore your plastic and soak it in Armor-all for a few days then do that. If you get a seat cover go with a 250R blue one thats specific to that year. If you paint your swing arm paint it silver/gray. Just basically bring it back to the glory of 1985. Just an idea

smokinwrench
08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
I say whatever you like, go for it. I prefered not to paint my tank when I redone mine last winter. I figured that as much as I ride the paint would be worn off very soon and look like crap.

CHAINSAW
08-12-2004, 06:53 PM
I disagree with clong. I feel that the more wild you get, the better. Stock machines are cool to look at, but WILD ones turn a lot more heads.

Keep in mind of other models fenders also. A TRX fender looks great, along with a 400EX. There is a lot of cutting involved (in no way is it a direct bolt up). You could also be the first to try a 450R rear fender,.. people are wondering how it would look, but no one has tried it yet.

82-8250R
08-12-2004, 06:57 PM
im there with chainsaw on that one, i always like to be a little different, my tecate will keep the stock look, but my 82R has white fenders with a custom blue and white seat, and the frame will be painted metallic blue, tank will be pearl white with metalllic blue flames, and I may do the motor silver not shure yet along with various peices chromed. buy dont listen to everyone else do what you want be original in your own mind but the 450R does sound like a great idea!!!!!!!

clong
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Sorry. I think I gave too much of an opinion on what to do. I agree with being original and making it a head turner with new plastic color schemes, seat covers, graphics, chrome metal parts, paint and other stuff. The beauty of these trikes is there admirable stock or modified, just as long as there clean and show pride of ownership.

CHAINSAW
08-12-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah man,.. like they said. Just make it to suit you! I mean your the own who has to drive it! lol

82-8250R
08-12-2004, 07:15 PM
there ya go couldnt have said it better myself.

Meat-BoX
08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Well I wanted to turn heads so I had mine Powdercoated and Polished. I got a great Flame seat cover from Hi-Flite that matches the Lime Green and Purple of my trike. I got new Maier Fenders and the look sweet. I allso hooked up with some Vinyl Flames with misty skulls printed on them for my fenders. The vinyl was inexpensive and will really make my Tecate stand out.
I guess im saying there are a million options out there and all you have to do is check out alot of 250 R's and come up with a gameplan. Good luck and enjoy it. :TrikesOwn

84250r
08-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I only like my 350X stock and original. I like looking at custom trikes though!

phatcat600
08-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Well I cant really paint the tank since it has a plastic cover, or can you ditch the cover and paint the aluminum? How do you make the engine all shiny? Prolly expensive right? Screw that.

I really have no ideas, and I have no idea what it would look like wiht different colors. Anyone have any pictures of non-original lookin 250R's?

CHAINSAW
08-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Here is a pic of my old R

smokinwrench
08-12-2004, 11:23 PM
How do you make the engine all shiny? Prolly expensive right?
Anyone have any pictures of non-original lookin 250R's?

Polishing aluminum is cheap but very time consuming.

Here is a link to pictures of mine. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24654

phatcat600
08-12-2004, 11:55 PM
hey chainsaw, thats EXACTLY what im after.

are those maier plastics? how much did it cost to get it to look like that?

are those inverted forks and an aftermarket swingarms or do R's have that badass stance stock?

CHAINSAW
08-13-2004, 06:25 PM
hey chainsaw, thats EXACTLY what im after.

are those maier plastics? how much did it cost to get it to look like that?

are those inverted forks and an aftermarket swingarms or do R's have that badass stance stock?

Yeah, maier all the way around, except for a painted OEM tank. The rear plastics are TRX, which makes it look more "wicked" in my opinion. Again, there is a lot of cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting etc,.. involved with putting TRX fenders on. I ordered it all from Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain ATV.
Front was around $45, back was around $180, radiator covers were around $45, and I used the TRX CEET flame seat cover, which was $66, a CEET flame graphics kit for the TRX $66, and 2 Fender kits, which were $37 a piece. So total in plastic and flames I had around $500 when they got to my doorstep. I had close to $4000 in that bike when I got rid of it.

The forks are stock along with the swinger. They have a pretty cool stance to begin with, but the camera angle on that pic makes it look mean.

I tried to use a TRX seat cover. It fits allright, but see the wrinkles up front. I thought if more time was applied they could be worked out, but was told later (by Jared on this site) that they wont.
These pics will show you the rears better. You can also cut the fenders down, like the pic of it before I went to black. Notice the flames I cut into the fenders. Those were cool, till winter time. The plastic got cold, and they break off easy.

smokinp
08-13-2004, 09:06 PM
I disagree with clong. I feel that the more wild you get, the better. Stock machines are cool to look at, but WILD ones turn a lot more heads I agree with saw,that is a sick looking R chainsaw :eek: :TrikesOwn

smokinp
08-13-2004, 09:18 PM
vartialk15,do you have 350x rear suspension on your 200X to go with the 350X front?if so how is it?

PlatinumDogg
08-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Here is a pic of my old R

damnmmm..sick R..i gotta use the washroom :Bounce

motoman1012002
08-14-2004, 02:37 AM
clean it after ever ride

phatcat600
08-14-2004, 10:53 AM
hey how much did you get outta that bike chainsaw?

CHAINSAW
08-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I traded it for an RM250

samster143
08-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Soap and Water..

phatcat600
08-27-2004, 01:49 AM
hey chainsaw how did you do that pipe? and how do you make an engine look better without actually getting it chromed? all black would be fine even if there is no way to get it chromy lookin for cheap

hondatrikesrule22
08-27-2004, 02:10 AM
The motor is made out of aluminum, and aluminum can be polished to look like a mirror. The disassemble the motor, dip the cases in paint stripper, and polish it.

BigGreenMachine
08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
And from what I can remember you got a sick RM out of that deal.

Fox250R
08-29-2004, 04:12 AM
heres mine :) The link under the pics is what my R looked like before i somewhat restored it :)

CHAINSAW
08-29-2004, 02:09 PM
hey chainsaw how did you do that pipe? and how do you make an engine look better without actually getting it chromed? all black would be fine even if there is no way to get it chromy lookin for cheap

The pipe I taped it all off, drew my flames, then painted them on with high temp paint. Id never seen it done before, but it turned out pretty cool looking. Im also gonna do that to my 85 Z, but with a few different colors.

As for the aluminum, I just polished it all while it was on the bike. Lots of time and elbow grease, and all done by hand.

And from what I can remember you got a sick RM out of that deal.
It was a pretty cool RM. All I do is dune riding, and quickly found out, bikes are no fun for me in the sand.. to much work. I sold the RM to buy my 85 Z. I had about $4000 in the R, traded it for a 1996 RM250 that was worth $2500, sold it for $1600 to buy an 85 Z for $1300, but is really worth about $4000 hahahahaha. So all in all, I ended up on the good end of the stick, and a lot happier.

OldSchoolin86
08-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Sweet trick there chainsaw!!

I never thought about painting an exhaust like that.