PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on repairing dented tank (pictures)

lilatv
08-11-2004, 08:44 PM
This tank looks like someone used it for batting practice.

Any thoughts on removing the dents.... I thought about spot welding nails to the dents and pulling but need to know a good process for prepping the tank before hand..don't wanna go boom due too possibly welding through the tank and introducing spark to fuel vapors. Any thoughts appreciated...I plan to use fiberglass jelly on the small stuff..but need help on getting the deep ones to a reasonable point. Do I pull the dent beginning in the middle and going out or outside to middle? thanks

GreyhoundRugby
08-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Smaller stuff id bondo if you have a putty knife and decent sander. I took dents out of a K-5 and I did it clockwise working my way out and got a pretty decent shape out of that *didnt take alot of filler at all. The gauge is to thick (from what i know) and an ackward shape on the tank for the crude Heat and ice approach (that could save hours on a dented roof or large panel though)

lilatv
08-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Appreciate the reply.

Any thoughts on prepping the tank, as in removing gas fumes so I can weld the nails without wondering if its gonna blow up?

GreyhoundRugby
08-12-2004, 02:55 PM
My best geuss is empty if theres gas in it nowthe put some hot water in it let it dry over night trailprotrailpro good
also put some rust protectent after you weld

joejoeguns
08-12-2004, 07:21 PM
fill it full of water cap it and put in the freezer overnight.the water expands and pops the dents out.may not fix it new but you don't mess uo paint or have to weld.try it first.

lilatv
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
joejoeguns

Are you serious? I might try that just to see, makes sense to a point, how effective is the question.

GreyhoundRugby
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Ive heard of that. The guy said it got it so the dents werent so drastic more of a dip that a sharp indintation. Might pop some of those small one back to smooth though

3 weelin geezer
08-13-2004, 02:29 AM
try a coke can first then see what happens. The bottom sticks out the OTHER way than its supposed to so, if you do try it, check up on it frequently so it doesnt pop those dents out too much and you might pop a weld and make a leak while youre at it. Btw, what would the Mrs. have to say about a gas tank in the freezer? Or in the oven curing the new paint?

:mad:

ric
08-13-2004, 03:05 AM
Dont try what this guy did, reached for the "oxy" and . . . . . blammohttp://www.atcheaven.com/Images/blow_up.jpg

lilatv
08-13-2004, 07:59 AM
3 weelin geezer

Good point. I used to run a vending truck so I know exactly what frozen pop cans can look like, :). I could end up with something far worse than I started, if I don't keep an eye on it. When I mentioned it to the Mrs., I think she was in the usual mode, as she just kinda nodded...haha...wait till she realizes what I said. I may use that as a last resort, not sure I want a gas tank in the fridge either. Someone mentioned using 3m adhesive and bolts, glue the bolts to the dents and pull.

ric

Yeah, thats what I am trying to avoid, I am more concerned about my hands looking like that than the tank though.