PDA

View Full Version : asking for 86 atc350x new maier fender advice

350xman
08-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Guys
I just bought a new set of white 86 atc350x maier front and rear fenders for my project bike"350x" and I am having trouble fitting them properly. I was wondering if anyone else has bought a new shiney white set of maier front and rear fender and has had trouble fitting the rear fenders on properly? And if so what did you do to solve the problem? Did you trim them abit? I was told by the maier sales man that they just fit in place without and trimming or special adjusting, just put(mount) the seat hardware on the same as the stock OEM rear fenders.
When I put the seat hardware(braces) on the new maier rear fender it does seem to match up and fit properly. I use the little nibs or nipples as a guide that are on the under side of the fender and things don't want to line up properly. I notice that I would have to trim about an inch off the front part of the rear fender that butts up again the gas tank but I thought I heard someone on the board say that you don't have to trim these new maier rear fenders, is this true?
I would like any advice or help in the matter before I start trimming or drill holes in the new fenders and end up with a mangled mess. I hope that I can get some time later this week to take some pictures of what I am says tonight. If anyone has pictures of their atc350x rear maier fenders and how they are mounted on the underside and on the bike that would be great if you could post them for me on the board or send me a pm or email.
Thanks 350xman

Ride hard!

hrc200x
08-11-2004, 07:16 PM
I bought a '86 350x with maier rear fenders, and they had been trimmed where it should come up to the gas tank. I also bought a '85 350x with maier rear fenders, and they hadn't been trimmed, but on the right side they stuck out around the tank, so I trimmed it down. A few months later I put a IMS plastic tank on and this made it worse, so they got trimmed even more.

In my opinion maier is junk as far as fitting good, but its the only option there is in some cases. I'm glad to see them making shiney fenders, now they need to work on getting them to fit better.