PDA

View Full Version : welding z clutch side cover?

nipper
08-08-2004, 06:10 AM
hi there
i have cracked my tri z clutch side cover n was wondering if it will hold up if i get it welded?
has anyone done this befor?
cheers :beer
nipps

hondaATCman
08-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Welding aluminum takes a special welder and a lot of experience. They make a kind of rod now where you just heat it up with a propane torch and it will "weld" aluminum. I would try that or JB Weld.

nipper
08-09-2004, 06:38 AM
bj weld just cracks off instantly when i try to kick start it!!
has any one here had it welded?
nipps

broook
08-09-2004, 07:20 AM
It is not a problem to weld Aluminum "IF" you have the right gear.
By messing around with JB etc. you are makeing it worse for the welder when you finally have to take it to him. Aluminum has to be very clean so the more junk you put on the more work it is to clean it up.

mart
08-09-2004, 07:31 AM
brook is right,aluminium has to be very clean trailprotrailpro u can even think of welding it.i would prob suggest tig welding it.And the other thing is you will have to find out if yamaha used magnesium in there castings because if they did dont even worry bout it u wont b able to weld it.hope this helps.

wolfspider
08-09-2004, 08:19 AM
hi nipper
theres a breakers near me with a tri z in, he might have a clutch case for you, if you want the number either pm me or email. its in south yorkshire, so you`ll probably need to get it delivered.
steve.

asc180
08-09-2004, 08:47 AM
I had mine welded and it did not work because of were the crack was positioned. The weld hit the kick start gear.

Billy Golightly
08-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Nipper could you post a picture of your break or describe it some? I've been working on a broken 250R case for about the past 4 days trying my best to patch it up. I'm using a Miller Dialarc TIG welder. I've been welding on aluminum for a while now and I'm not an expert but I'm better then a dobber. Aluminum indeed does have to be very clean before you weld on it. I've had the best luck using an airpowered sander with 40 grit on it and just going over the surface real well.

TimSr
08-09-2004, 09:06 AM
These cases are known for cracking becaue of the stress of the kickstarter. They can be welded by someone who is good at it, and it doe take a special talent and equipment to weld these. I had one welded that was stronger than the original, and lasted for years, but whether or not they can be welded, and how well it will hold mostly depends on the location and condition of the crack. JB weld will not work at all because this is a high stress area, However, (on a good one) a coating of LB weld on the entire lip under where the kickstarter bolts on, to eliminiate the space below it, will give it a lot more strength and eliminate the bend point, allowing a new one to last much longer.

twgranger
08-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Mine cracked and i bought a new one from yamaha for $100.

Billy Golightly
10-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Do you guys with your broken cases still have them? PM me if you do.

tecatemantodd
10-16-2004, 11:36 PM
use a stainless steel brush to clean aluminum, it leaves no residue. Anything else will leave you with clean looking metal that still oxidizes when welded.