PDA

View Full Version : 3wd

83185s
08-06-2004, 09:41 PM
anyone think that u can make a 3wd system for a 3wheeler? i wanna do it to my 185...lol...it be mean...i was thinkin of somehow mounting a small either electric or gas powered chainsaw motor on the lower end of the front forks...and the puttin a sprocket on the hub of the front wheel seein as how my front brakes no work anyway...and then doin a chain from the engine to the sproket...think it would work? its a crazy idead but i bet some ppl have thouhgt about it...it would be a mean mudder then!!!

smokinp
08-06-2004, 09:45 PM
this topic has been taked about before on the board and it would be a sweet setup if it did work but what would you do with the throttle to it?

BigGreenMachine
08-06-2004, 10:15 PM
that would be a crappy way IMO but if you used a small hydrolic motor on a custom hub and run the hydrolics from the stock motor it would be great.

corndawg
08-06-2004, 10:58 PM
i think it would be pretty hard to get them syncronized to go the same speed too

hondaATCman
08-07-2004, 12:59 AM
i think it would be pretty hard to get them syncronized to go the same speed too

Yeah, it would be an absolute total waste of time because if you think a chainsaw or weedeater motor in the front is going to pull you better..you're sooo wrong. Think about it... a what? 23-32 cc? 1.5-2 (maybe less) HP single speed centrifical clutch motor. Sometimes my weedeater even stalls out cutting in high grass!! Pulling 350+ lbs. through mud or up hills...yeah right!! :rolleyes: Anyway, even if it did have the power, you wouldn't be able to synchronize both drive systems to operate at the same speed. You would either be burning up the clutches in the weedwacker motor up in front while underthrottleing the 10+ horsepower in the back, or getting too much throttle in the back so the front wouldn't catch up with itself. I don't know what else to say... I'm not trying to crush everyone's "I'm gonna be superman one day" dreams, just giving the reallity of the situation. :D :D

Go ahead and do it... I wanna see pics. lol :p Atleast you could tell people it works, other than that it would be more weight and one hell of an ugly hunk of metal on the front end. :beer

TrikerR
08-07-2004, 07:54 AM
ktm have done it on a 2wheeler, i know its not the same but u maybe can find out how its done

TrikerR
08-07-2004, 07:55 AM
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/machines/2004/ktm/2wd/

250SX_rider
08-07-2004, 10:44 AM
There could be some ways to do it, but they all have their good and bad sides:

You could put a sproket beside your front wheel, and put a chain between that sproket and the front sproket.
Bad sides: You could not turn with that setup, so it would be only good for mud drag racing.

All here must admit that you absolutely need the engine's power to make the three-wheeled drive setup. You cannot put an engine that has enough power just on the rack of the trike! So you need to get the engine's power out of it, to the rear and to the front.

I'm short of ideas, i just wanted everybody to get some with the things I've said.

Thanks
Jeff

kryppy
08-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Go ahead and do it... I wanna see pics. lol :p Atleast you could tell people it works, other than that it would be more weight and one hell of an ugly hunk of metal on the front end. :beer

Might help keep the front end down anyway.

trikerider2oo7
08-07-2004, 12:58 PM
you need a custom hub a hydralic pump from the engine and a hydrolic motor...but then that takes away a lot of your power

350x'inNY
08-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Seems like Dirt Wheels did this same thing awhile back... thinking early 80's. I remember at least seeing a pic of it in the magazine. Can't remember much about it, but seems like it had some kind of chain up front.

Bruce

Honda300ex
08-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Why not convert a Ronkon Scout into a Trike??

200esjerry
08-07-2004, 06:23 PM
why and you use a shaft drive so you can turn?
chain drive in back, run another sproket off of the chain to a ring and pinion, to a shaft,to a u-joint,to another ring and pinion to a custom hub? that seems like it would work. youd just have to make a cover for the shaft.

hotroddal
08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
atleast 1 person knows the right way to make a trike 3-wheel drive, all you would have to do is go buy a rokon trail breaker or rokon scout and take the rear wheel off of it and get a 3-wheeler rear axle assembly and weld it to the back of the rocken and hook your chain up to the 3-wheeler axle.

TrikerR
08-08-2004, 12:36 AM
if you wanna do it you would need to use hydraulics. youd need a custom front rim with hydraulic motor and then have that connected to the engine and to componsate for the power loss yuo would need to drop a bigger motor into it say a CR500 into a 350x frame