PDA

View Full Version : How do you patch cracked fenders?

lilatv
08-03-2004, 08:10 AM
I am in the process of cleaning up this little 70 and the rear fender is cracked all over. There is a chunk missing off one corner but I plan to smooth it and remove the same amount from the other corner to even it up. So far I used some adhesive to align the cracks abd put a 1/16" - 1/8" groove into the crack line on the top side. I am thinking either use fiberglass to fill and sand, or possibly melting some plastic into the grooves. I will do the underside this way as well. Any recommendations...besides just replace it :) ? Thanks

atckowalski
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
You can always drill small holes and use zip ties.

almac16
08-03-2004, 11:22 AM
You can always drill small holes and use zip ties.

..........the classic stitched look :)

I used wire instead of zip ties. Worked well.

Plastic welding is an option if you have one. Although my bike was plastic welded and it broke so I stitched it up.

dartgt471
08-03-2004, 02:02 PM
I know it aint pretty but I literaly pieced together my 250sx fenders with a heat gun and putty knife. When done it looked pretty cool, it looked like it had scars. the SX was soon after nick named frankenstien.

petethekiller

lilatv
08-03-2004, 02:28 PM
I was hoping for a more original look. :)

I was gonna stick the pieces together and then primer it and paint but I have a couple spots that are in what I would call stress areas and they just continue to crack. I used fiberglass jelly and it wouldn't stick, I did mix some left over plastic dust from sanding with super glue and it dried on super quick but I am not sure how long it'll hold, the one stressed area seems to wanna keep cracking. I may have found a replacement so that would be even better. If that doesn't work out then I might invest in a plastic welder kit but I am kinda hesitant since that doesn't seem to last long either.

Appreciate the responses

bigredhead
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
crazy carpets and rivets with washers.

red crazy carpets match the honda red real well !!!

and they are tough !

lilatv
08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
bigredhead

Whats "crazy carpets"?

bigredhead
08-03-2004, 03:05 PM
you don't know what they are??????????

do you have snowy winters?

they are sheets of thick plastic with 2 holes for your hands to fit into, kids use them to slide down snow hills with.

snow sliders.

almac16
08-03-2004, 03:11 PM

they are sheets of thick plastic with 2 holes for your hands to fit into, kids use them to slide down snow hills with.

snow sliders.

Hmmmm bigredhead.....maybe that's a Canadian thing ;)

bigredhead
08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
haha.. sure is !!

check walmart, kids toys, any thick tough plastic, place a piece underneath your current fender and rivet it on !!!

not pretty, but sure keeps you clean !

threewheelin-feelin
08-03-2004, 04:54 PM
JB weld fools lol just messing with yall but use jb weld

200xalltheway
08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
uhh, just buy some new plastic.

lilatv
08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
bigredhead wrote:

snow sliders.

Haha..actually we call them sleds here. Never heard of them being called "crazy carpets".

Actually most of the fender is there, well most of it, but there are cracks all over, suprisingly enough there are minimal scratches. I get what your saying now... thanks for the suggestion

threewheelin-feelin wrote:

JB weld fools lol just messing with yall but use jb weld

That crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if the flexible plastic vs. the hard jb weld would just cause future cracking. Is this something you've done and it lasted a while or is it crack prone? thanks

trikerider2oo7
08-03-2004, 06:15 PM
them crazy carpets are awesome....i went thru quite a few of them when i was a little kid. they were a pain in the ass sometimes cause you had to unroll it all the time

Muddy200x
08-04-2004, 06:18 AM
This might be what your looking for. I havnt used it or know anyone who has. But I think It would be worth a try.plastiweld (http://hometown.aol.com/plastiweld4atvs/myhomepage/business.html)

H.M.F.I.C.
08-04-2004, 08:06 AM
I am running into the same thing myself. I am restoring a 1979 Honda Z50R Mini Trail dirt bike for a guy and haven't been able to find fenders anywhere. The back fender has a crack all the way down the middle. I have used a soldering iron to repair plastic before and will probably do the same on this one. When I am done you wont even know I was there after a bunch of different grades of sand paper and couple of minutes from a wool buffing pad and some fine buffing compound.

200xalltheway
08-04-2004, 11:59 AM
I am running into the same thing myself. I am restoring a 1979 Honda Z50R Mini Trail dirt bike for a guy and haven't been able to find fenders anywhere. The back fender has a crack all the way down the middle. I have used a soldering iron to repair plastic before and will probably do the same on this one. When I am done you wont even know I was there after a bunch of different grades of sand paper and couple of minutes from a wool buffing pad and some fine buffing compound.

I have a 79 Honda z50 that needed fenders. Went to my local Honda dealer and they had them. Cost about $70.00 for the set. They look really good.

lilatv
08-04-2004, 06:55 PM
I thought I would post a pic of the cracks I am talking about. The lines in the picture, represent cracks that have gone completely through the plastic. Petty bad huh? Seat is tore up, the metal seat pan is rusted and flaking, there is rust on the handle bars.... the tires are new. haha. Hopefully getting a replacement will work out.