PDA

View Full Version : WOn't run/start

Savage99
08-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Hello all, I just picked up a 1982 yamaha trimoto 175 and when I got it it ran fine. I spent the last week cleaning it up and changing the rear axle bearings. I took it for a run (down the road) and it stalled on me and now it won't start. I am sure I have gas but thats about it. Any help for a newbie on where to start trying to figure out what the problem is? I sure would appriciate any direction as I have not yet found a manual for it.

Mark.

P.S. I never really took anything apart to clean it so the carb and everything is still in the original shape.

Savage99
08-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I also forgot to mention that I pulled the plug to change it and I checked for a spark. At first I got a shock holding the boot then I could not see any spark at all. I really don't know what I am doing but I am trying to learn.

Macs
08-01-2004, 06:39 PM
well it is probly the plug. if it shocked you that means fire is there just not going through the plug. take the plug out and ground the end of it. turn it over. if you do not see no spark between the electrode and the ground hook then the plug is bad.

Meat-BoX
08-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Check out your Wiring Harness allso. If there are any problems with your wires it can die or run like crap. Good for water allso., Bad wires = Bad Trike

Savage99
08-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Well checked the plug by grounding it and there seems to be a spark there. When I tried to start it after leaving it alone for eight hours it almost caught....then nothing again. Fuel tank is full and when I pull the fuel line off there is gas there. No idea where to go from here...any more suggestions. Help so far has been great. Thanks.

Mark.

TimSr
08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Any time any bike, trike or quad dies, always replace the plug before doing anything.

corndawg
08-02-2004, 12:35 AM
just because its sparking the gap dosnt always mean it is sparking once it gets under pressure inside the cylinder, ive always been told for it to be considered good spark it should jump a quarter inch gap

Savage99
08-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Well I did change the plug but I guess it's cheap enough to try another. I also drained the gas...thought maybe older gas was not helping much but no chance. I am not sure what the gap on the plug is supposed to be but I put it at the same gap as the old one. I will also look at picking up a new wire/ingnition coil. I don't know if this means anything but the more I pull on the darn thing the harder it seems to be to pull...then I leave it alone and she seems to turn easier. Thannks again.

Mark.

smokinp
08-02-2004, 01:05 AM
I would try a new plug first and then check the basics like compression,gas coming out of the petcock,spark,ect.

Savage99
08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
When I stating working on it tonight I noticed that the cylinder gasket upper was leaking oil. When I took a closer look part of the gasket was blown out and when I pulled the stated rope I could feel a puff of air out that side. I am going to replace this gasket...no problem,.... but I wanted to know if this could have been my problem from the start. Any ideas?

atc krazy
08-03-2004, 01:34 AM
i think it would be