PDA

View Full Version : Any oil suggestions?

lilatv
07-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I have a 1979 honda 70 atc that I am redoing, probably be a good idea to change the oil.

What I am about to ask may be basic to those who have dealt with three wheelers, I am not familliar with the maintenance side just yet. These 4 stroke motors use one type of oil for the engine and tranny correct?

What weight and type would someone recommend, it is a 4 stroke? Would a 30w automotive oil do the trick, seems I noticed somewhere that the 70 needed 30w. I was unsure if it needed a specific kind with an additive for the friction disks in the tranny. If possible anyone know how much it should hold?

Everyone be patient, once I get the oil changed and the tires on it, I will get a manual so I can go over the details like chain slack, tranny repair, carb adjustment etc. and not ask anymore basic questions. I would call a honda dealer but there isn't one local and since I have time and internet access, why not ask others who know?

Thanks

J.D.
07-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Just use 10 W 40 oil, works great in my 4-strokes. I run WalMart oil too, alot of people trash it but it's never done me any harm, and it's supposedly bottled by Castrol.

smokinp
07-30-2004, 12:20 AM
I run 10w30 quaker state peak performance oil.

lilatv
07-30-2004, 05:12 AM
So automotive 10w-30 not specific motorcycle 10w-30?

Seems I got lucky, I have a box of 10w-30 havoline. Man, the old oil was thin and black. I put the whole quart in it, I think I may have went over a bit, I measured what was taken out and it was just under a quart so shouldn't hurt anything.

I read some old posts and I see mention of a spring and oil filter screen, behind the 24mm drain plug, this plug was much smaller, but the largest underneath. I removed the drain bolt and did not see a spring or feel one for that matter. Did the 70 models not have one?

On the left side under the shifter there was a bolt with a screw behind it, is this the shift adjustment?

thanks

jenndnn3
07-30-2004, 10:49 AM
As soon as I find my manual i will try to help. Im in the middle of packing, and just have not had the chance.

lilatv
07-30-2004, 02:23 PM
As soon as I find my manual i will try to help. Im in the middle of packing, and just have not had the chance.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

TimSr
07-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I think the manual says 10w30 or 10w40. Either is fine.

jenndnn3
07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
ok, on the manual question in another thread. I have a haynes, I like it, it seems to be thorough, but can be incredibly confusing. Different explainations are in different areas of the manual, and can be hard to put it all together. Their explianation that is. Also it covers 2 different trikes. In my case the 2 trikes are no where alike so, to find the exact thing you are looking for can be tough. The one thing I hate is not enough picts. I work very well with just picts. And It tells you how to tear it apart, but doesnt really give info on putting it back together. Yeah I know same way you took apart. Trying to inturpret is tough. Thats my opinion, on Haynes. I dont have a clymer.
The oils suggested are fine, I use Honda 4 stroke from dealer, Prob wasted money, but I am happy with it so I stick with it. I use very little that IT is more convient to get when I need other things. I think what ever oil you choose will prob be fine.
The amount is simple ( but I had to look it up lol) 0.9 lit(1.9/1.58 US/imp pints). To check you put dipstick in sitting. not screwed in position. The level should be between 2 marks.

The clutch adjustment is on the right case if your sitting on the trike.
Basically loosen locknut, turn clutch adjuster anti clockwise till resistence, then turn clockwise 1/8 - 1/4 turn. tighten lock nut. Thats it. oh yeah engine stopped.

Things you can do while waiting for manual, Clean air filter, clean carb, .

The 2 big bolts on the bottom, the one laying flat is your oil drain. The one slightly angle towards the left of the trike enginecase (agin sitting on trike) is your timing chain adjustment.

lilatv
08-01-2004, 11:31 PM
jenndnn3

Thanks!

I would have posted earlier but I did not receive an e-mail notification.

Man, the other night I changed the oil, put the new tires on--*cough*--been riding it ever since. Ah, I have a small yard but a dead end road on the side, and I couldn't resist, the neighbors think I am nuts, grown man on a honda 70 but it brings back a lot of memeories and that little sucker will scoot for what it is.

I have already cleaned the carb but a carb kit is on the way, should be in by middle of next week, I think when I replace the parts I am gonna polish the intake and carb, maybe that'll get some more rpm out of it. I know in automotive applications polishing the intake isn't a good idea but I don't think it will hurt anything doing it on something that runs mid to full throttle most of the time, any thoughts? I am content with it now, one or two pulls and she fires when cold (well 90 degrees cold) without the choke.

The air filter housing was missing the ends that hold the air filter, so what I have done is put a new universal pcv filter for automotive applications on it and oddly enough it fits right on the rubber tube that comes off the carb. Its a chrome one that looks like a dome, I punched a few holes in the top so it would feed it and it seems to work.

I believe the clutch needs adjusting it does fine but seems a bit off.

Broke the gas cap trying to get it to tighten better, so that sux. haha

Well I believe my wife is a convert, at first she wished it were removed from the property, as of today she mentioned seeing a four wheeler for sale, haha I knew she would like it. One nephew has ridden it with his dad (he's only two) and really enjoyed it, another nephew wouldn't even look at it..haha..their great.

Does your manual mention anything about a oil filter screen for the 70?

Thanks

jenndnn3
08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I dont recall, I will look when I am back home. I am in Idaho Right now house hunting. You can go to bikebandit.com and partsfish.com and see if they had the oil filters. They are just schematics, but those are useful for these type of questions, plus where parts go. I may have your gas cap, I will have to check, If I do you may have it. Also I have your fenders, Scratched to hell and back but chainsaw does a very nice writeup on restoreing of plastics, no cracks. Why dont you pm your address, when I get home I can mail these items ( That is if I do have the gascap) All I would need is the mailing costs. It nice to hear you are having a ball with this trike.

lilatv
08-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah still having fun, think I am having more fun than the little guys. I keep thinking, I bet I look like a circus clown on this thing, haha, I can't imagine taking it through the woods but around here its a blast. I have a large three wheeler I picked up but I cannot figure out who made it, its an oddball that uses a torque converter and belt vs. a tranny, it is a one speed but if I recall correctly, it used to have a 18hp engine on it and move down the road pretty quick.

I will check out the links you have provided and take a look at what chainsaw has written, I assume I can find it under a search.

A gas cap and rear fender would be great! Right now I am using a piece of cloth wrapped around a big cap, it does the job but the gas soaked cloth sux and I would rather it not be that way when the little people ride it.

You have a PM.

Thanks a lot for the help, its appreciated.