PDA

View Full Version : air cooled snowmobile motor in a atc

jonneydemonic
07-29-2004, 08:46 AM
has anyone installed a air cooled snowmobile motor in a atc? i ride dunes only, do they get too hot, would i be better off with a liquid cooled?
thanks jon

PlatinumDogg
07-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Air cooled...very, very bad idea....During the winter, u can almost burn those engines up if its to hot, say like couple degrees over zero celcuis, they will seize upp..its happened to my buddy 440 sport skidoo...a liquid is different, u will need a cooling fan setup, as a snowmobile cools the "raditator" with snow in the tunnel under the seat....but its definatley possible with a liquid cooled motor:D

plkmonster2
07-30-2004, 12:11 AM
I've seen several aircooleds sieze in hot weather. I've seen all types in go karts. The ones with the fans on the motor, that run off the belt, (forced air) tend to last a little longer than the regular type that needs wind. However, both types tend to sieze up, especially if the weather is hot, or you run a lean mixture. The liquid cooled get hot too, but not so hot that they sieze. Most people run a large fan in back of it. (Like the one on a car) Liquid cooled would be your best bet, especially if you run in hot weather, and the air flow to the motor is limited.