PDA

View Full Version : engine question

mevaters
07-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Hey, I have decided to just tear apart the tri z and restore it and replace every nut and bolt and gasget etc. I just took off the exhaust and the top part of the engine right where the sparkplug goes into. My question is, is the top of the piston supposed to be very clean and metallic? Mine is very dark and pretty dirty, the guy I bought this bike off of a few weeks ago never took care of it. I assume I really have to clean the engine and I am replacing all of the lines and hoses. I am trying to get a manual from this guy on here i'm just waiting for him to email me back so I suppose my questions will not be so stupid, lol. I was going to sell the bike because I was so pissed off at how bad it was performing but I decided that since I already own it I might as well restore it so that I have a like new trike and i have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Anybody have any guess on how long it would take to restore this trike? not counting the delivery time for the parts? Anyone else run into any problems restoring a tri z that I should know? Thanks.

CHAINSAW
07-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Thats normal man. Remember, there is fire in there, so its not gonna be all clean and nice. If it is all clean, you've GOT problems.

The only advice I can give... take out the bolts, and put them in marked bags. Like the front end, put all those bolts in one bag, and mark it. Also take some pics of things you think you might not remember. Especially if you dont have a manual. The manual was a life saver when I went back together with mine.

mevaters
07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
taking pics is a pretty good idea, i didn't think of that. I just hope that after I replace everything that it will run like new again, or at all lol.

atckowalski
07-26-2004, 12:11 AM
If you rebuild the top end it will run just like new.Take your time do it your way and enjoy it. ;) Also get that manual!!