PDA

View Full Version : what did the 200x kick start update consists of?

hrc200x
07-25-2004, 02:53 AM
I seem to remember talk on the board of Honda updating or recalling their kick start gears in '83-'85 200x's? I know the '83's had different teeth for the kick start gears on the counter and main shaft.

I ask the question because my cousin got a '84 200x that needed the bottom end tore apart due to a sheered off counter shaft. He had an extra bottom end laying around, and after counting number of teeth on the kick start gears it appears to be a '84 or 5 motor. But when comparing the '84 motor kick start gears to the '84 or '85 kick start gears, they have the same teeth, but one motor has wider kick start gears on the main and counter shaft, and the one kick start gear on the counter shaft seems to have more of a taper to edge of the gear, possibly to help them mesh together better?

Does anyone know what this update consisted of, or if the fatter gears might be from a '85 motor?

Howdy
07-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I seem to remember talk on the board of Honda updating or recalling their kick start gears in '83-'85 200x's? I know the '83's had different teeth for the kick start gears on the counter and main shaft.

I ask the question because my cousin got a '84 200x that needed the bottom end tore apart due to a sheered off counter shaft. He had an extra bottom end laying around, and after counting number of teeth on the kick start gears it appears to be a '84 or 5 motor. But when comparing the '84 motor kick start gears to the '84 or '85 kick start gears, they have the same teeth, but one motor has wider kick start gears on the main and counter shaft, and the one kick start gear on the counter shaft seems to have more of a taper to edge of the gear, possibly to help them mesh together better?

Does anyone know what this update consisted of, or if the fatter gears might be from a '85 motor?

I'm not sure which gears was for what years. If memory serves me correctly They used a total of 4 or 5 different gear set ups.

I know the 85 200x I had ( daily rider ) worked better than my friends 83 200x.

I also know that Honda did a free repair on the kick starters that slipped. This fix was to change the spring on the main shaft. The only way to get to this part was to split the bottom end.

I wished I had more information to be able to help here. But I don't.

Howdy