PDA

View Full Version : T-whut?

DixiePlowboy
12-30-2002, 09:47 PM
I've been posting here for about 2 years(most of the time under another screen name), and I've always wondered about something. Where did the designation T3 or Tecate-3 used to describe the Tecate originate? I admit that from the years 83-87(or so) when I lived and breathed 3 wheelers, until the last couple years that I re-visited that love, that many things in the ATV industry have changed. I've met people nearly my age who needed photographic evidence that there ever was a Tecate other than the 4 wheeled version :rolleyes: .

Before the period of disenchantment, there was only one machine manufactured by Kawasaki that bore the name Tecate. There was, and is, only one Tecate. Although in two different designs, it only had 3 wheels.

This is not the first shot in a flame war by no means. Anyone may call anything what they wish of course. I only wish to appeal to those of you that are devoted 3-wheeler people to give the Tecate the place of honour it deserves(curse it's factory ignition system at will though :x ), and to let you know that there's someone out here that still knows what a Tecate is without a number in it's name. ;)

tony_250r
12-30-2002, 10:31 PM
I know that Tecate is a city or county in Mexico. They have a big race in Tecate, it's just like the Baja 500. That's where the name comes from. I think the three must stand for three wheels.

I run 86 Honda 250R. I know that the vomit green (J/k) Tecate is the fastest three wheller ever produced for the general public. I give credit where credit is due, you don't see many around.

DixiePlowboy
12-30-2002, 10:44 PM
tony_250r,
That is where the Tecate got it's name from.

I'm building an '85 R myself. I'm not what you'd call a Kawasaki fan by no means. I've had an '84, an '85, and an '86 Tecate. The first 2 never ran while I owned'em, and I pushed the '86 more than I rode it due to ignition problems. But there's just something about those Green Machines that I like. I want an '85 in near mint condition so bad I can almost hear my wife chasing me with an R axle from the pile of parts in the shed. :D

Trikeaholic
12-30-2002, 10:55 PM
how ya like this one??

tony_250r
12-30-2002, 11:10 PM
Sweetttttttttttttttttttttt.

DixiePlowboy
12-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Trikeaholic,
I'm more of a fan of green, but that's SWEEEEET :!:

Back around '85, a local Suzuki dealer had a nearly new '85 Tecate they had took in on a trade for a new Quadracer :rolleyes:. I rode it and loved it. By the time I'd talked my grandmother into the deal, it had been sold.

Even though I ended up with a Paul turner built '85 R, (so I didn't lose out completely :-D ), I still had a soft spot for the Tecate. When I finally got an '85(in need of some work), I was otherwise pre-occupied and never did anything with it.

After my current R project, I think an '85 Tecate is in my future.

12-30-2002, 11:19 PM
howdy just did up my avatar for me....what do ya think?

tecatecrazy
12-30-2002, 11:20 PM
sorry wasnt signed in :oops:

ATCRYDER
12-31-2002, 12:56 AM
Rock on, Tecates.

"tecate" is a beer.........its also a desert if im not mistaken,

TimSr
12-31-2002, 01:25 AM
Im trying to understand the original post, and I think he is questioning the "3" or "4" rather than the Tecate part of the name if I understand correctly, and I believe he is right in that the original 3 wheeled Tecates were simply "Tecate" rather than "Tecate 3". However, I believe the 4 wheeled version was originally called "Teacte 4". If this is the case, the explanation is easy. When a movie comes out with ten sequals, the first is never called "Halloween I", just "Halloween", but as soon as Halloween II comes out, the original is immediately referred to as Halloween I for clarification purposes. My theory would be that the "Tecate" became a "Tecate 3" as soon as the Tecate 4 came out. Of course, all this is speculation on my part, and it may not even be what he was asking.

Wickedfinger
12-31-2002, 03:39 AM
.... Yeah Tim, I too am trying to figure out whats in question here.

Kilborg
12-31-2002, 06:54 AM
Lets not forget Tecate beer! I have not had any myself, but my father tells me its similar to corona and other mexican beers (im set on those).

DixiePlowboy
12-31-2002, 10:41 AM
It's not really a question. It's more of an expression of frustration over personal experiences with people elsewhere that I though would strike a chord with those of you on a site that is, in name, dedicated to 3 wheeling. My points were:

1. There's a whole lotta folks who don't remember, or more to the point,care about, the roots of ATVing. Some are like the person I mentioned that needed proof that a 3-wheeled Tecate existed. :rolleyes: I tried to sell a modified '86 TRI-Z to a locally based, Nationally ranked(between 2-4 this year in the standings) ATV racer who didn't have a clue what it was, or that it was capable of hanging right beside his TRX R!

2. That since 3 wheelers"died out" in the mainstream, there has been a lack of respect and reverence for them and those capable of riding them.

3. There is one Tecate...adding a number is unnecessary for those dedicated to 3 wheeling, unless you're talking about a fast, green golf cart :D

Trikeaholic
12-31-2002, 11:47 AM
I get it, I got it from the beginning. They should have never called the cart version a "Tecate" BTW, I wish mine had the decal on the rear of the fenders, anyone know how I could get one?? I believe its discontinued.

Jeb
12-31-2002, 11:47 AM
Yes, The correct designation for the KXT-250 A1,A2,B1 & B2 3 wheelers is just Tecate, not Tecate-3. What I remember is in 87 when Kawasaki came out with the KXF-250 Tecate-4, the 87 KXT-250 Tecate 3-wheeler that was still in production was unofficially dubbed the "Tecate-3" even though it's actual name was still just Tecate. I agree that prior to 1987 KXT250s were not known as Tecate-3s and Tecate-3 is not nor has it ever been an official Kawasaki Trade Name.

Curtis-Tecate3
12-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Kawasaki of Japan did choose to name its bike after the little town in Mexico that many races run through...Yes it is also where the Mexican Beer is named after. The name Tecate is all you needed to say when referring to the bike until Kawasaki decided to make a racing quad and of course use the same name and thats when people started referring to them as Tecate 3 and Tecate 4. The internet abbreviations probably started the T3 & T4 designations. Actually the physical bike model numbers tell more of the story. 1986 Kawasaki Tecate Model KXT250B1 for example. KX is Kawasakis Motocross designation. T is for Three (Wheels). 250 is engine displacement and B1 is for second generation first model. The tecate 4 Model Number started with KXF etc.etc.etc.

Curtis.

12-31-2002, 12:47 PM
I actually couldn’t figure out the question was either, I took stab at it anyway. I didn’t want to offend anyone, so I tried to read between the lines so to speak. Before I responded, I pondered what the thread’s intension was for some time, and that's all I could come up with.

theeechozen1
12-31-2002, 01:13 PM
Trikeaholic-- There are quite a few sticker guys on e-bay, if you e-mail em they can make you anything you want, I know that they wouldn't be OEM but I think they could make you something close, if not let me know One of my ex's dad owns a sign shop and can make cool decals for ya

Mike Fort Laud
01-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Hey Matt,,,,That clutch lever looks like it might have gotten dirty once,,,or is that a special custom fit lever for your hand....ha ha ha ha ...Looks good.