PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing, YT175 with suspension?

Billy Golightly
07-20-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't know what to make of it...the frame and grab bar seem to resemble that of a YT175, but I'm not sure. That tank really throws me off but maybe its just something off of an old motorcycle or something. The tripple clamps look like their stamped out steel or somethign too, their not thick like normal aluminum ones.

Jeb
07-20-2004, 10:07 PM
My opinion, as far back as the engine cradle is I'd have to say it's an aftermarket full suspension frame for a YT125. Perhaps similar to the one holding up Mymint87's ATC110. The YT175 would have had it's own front suspension.

I'd bet the gas tank is like you said Billy, off an old dirt bike or enduro.

Billy Golightly
07-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Thats what I'm thinking Jeb, that'd be a neat little trike. I've got 2 125's already up in my stash that I could maybe get running with minimal amount of parts. Would bea neat toy for the mini class at TF next year :D

bigred110
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
The bend of the grab bar looks like mine and the way it connects. The end of frame where the seat attach looks like mine. The middle of the frame where the connecter is looks like the seat latch. It has connector for YT style gas tank on the neck. The rear downward frame tubes looks like a YT.
So I'll guess that it is a YT frame. Don't know about the forks though :confused:

Yamahammer490
07-21-2004, 01:32 PM
The YT 175 had trailing axle forks with "shorty" tubes that were held only by the bottom triple clamp.

Since these forks have the axle at the very bottom they're probably not from a larger motorcycle which would have had leading-axle forks or a larger Tri-Moto which would have trailing-axle. My guess is some sort of mini bike.

The triple clamps could be aftermarket from the early 80s when "suspension kits" were readily available. Here's a picture of an old racer with clamps that look similar.

Looks like a cool project.

BigGreenMachine
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Looks like a great project. Strap a nice motor in there with the restored frame and find yourself some plastics...mmm thats good mini racer. Notice the rear wheels look like a 3 bolt pattern.

Yamahammer490
07-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, and the foot pegs look to be moved forward and up the engine cradle, don't they? As I recall, my YT had the pegs at the bottom of the engine, not up and forward as on this frame. I wonder what's up with that?

bigred110
07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm at work so I can't truely say but the foot pegs looks like that they're in some position as mine, see pic.
You could also compare the two.

http://www.freewebs.com/bragger/100_0243.JPG

Yamahammer490
07-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I bet you're right. I think the picture without the motor made it sort of an optical illusion. Must be just my eyeballs...

Billy Golightly
07-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Hmmm sure does favor the YT. What do you guys think, YT with rear suspension kit and different front forks? Thats what it seems like to me. Holic, you around? Is this what your YT looks like?

bigred110
07-21-2004, 07:00 PM
That is what I would say!
Their more things I've just notice but I don't fell like listing dozen or so stuff.
I'll be surpise if it's not.

vartiak15
07-21-2004, 08:09 PM
wtf is a panther? a motercycle or somethign?

Billy Golightly
07-21-2004, 08:26 PM
I guess, I've never heard of anything called that myself. The guy that has it at first thought it said Tiger on it, which of course interested me greatly considering he is pretty local. Its still very cool though because even if it is just a YT125/175 there is still not many at all with rear suspension.

Jeb
07-21-2004, 09:01 PM
I tell ya Billy, that would be my luck. Talk to some old guy that says "I got an old trike in the junk yard that has a blue tank on it that says Tiger." I'd run down there in my drawrs if I had to and then only to find out it said Panther! To which the dude replies "OH, I thought it was Tiger".

:Bounce

I'd probably still buy it since it's a full suspension frame. Still a treasure if you ask me. :beer

Billy Golightly
07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Yup Jeb. I think I will try and get it, its definetly within my price range. I'm gonna PM holic and see what he says. The pictures I remember seeing of his suspended tri-moto when he put the kit on was very similar if not identical to this.

MIK6
07-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Billy ... Do you have a picture from the back? It looks like the Proteck kit that Holic has on his. If it is all you need is the bolt in suspension and you can put it in 1 of your 175s. I looked at Holics alot when I saw it, I can prob tell w/ a better picture.

MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
07-21-2004, 10:34 PM
yep, thats a tri moto, pretty sure. if you look carefully, you can see where the stock brake fits into the frame. I say go get it, whatever it is, its neat. Havent been around much latley, school, work and other work, camping, trying to find a new scud, etc.

Billy Golightly
07-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply holic and Mike. I just gotta go get it then I guess. Little bit of a ride but it'll be worth it.

Now that we have the frame and chassis identified, wtf is that tank from?!?

bigred110
07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
And one thing I forgot to mention is that my frame is 125 frame. I don't know if their are any kind of difference between the 125 or 175 frame.
So a 175 motor should fit in their.

I looked on the internet about the panther thing and I've came across couple new mini quads.

old-yellow
06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Hay billy i know that this thread is really old but i was just curious on what happened to this trike did you ever get it or no.

Billy Golightly
06-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow thats a flash back. Nope, never did anything with it.

Jon Boy
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
saw this thread earlier and thought about that tank. ever figure it out? i did a google image search and came up with lots of Panther Motorcycle pics. most the tanks were differant, but there was a few that looked similar just differant paint schemes is all.

Keepah Rolln
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Looks like it came off a old german made motorcycle..