PDA

View Full Version : Need help, QUICK! !

J.D.
07-20-2004, 08:08 PM
I need to know if an 85 Tri-Z motor will fit into a 83 YZ250 frame. I'm working on a deal and I need to know quickly. If it will bolt in direct I'm gonna buy an 83 YZ with a cracked case and throw the Z motor in there. Hell I'm gonna buy the bike one way or another but this will make me feel better if someone know's for sure it's a direct fit. I can't pass up this deal though, a YZ250 with 3 extra rims/tires, and a trailer for 100 bucks. Sweet, eh?

-Goku

Billy Golightly
07-20-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't know about the bottom but the head stay mount I'm 99% sure is not the same.

hondatrikesrule22
07-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Weren't the YZ motors used in the tri-z anyway? Chainsaw mounted a YZ motor into his tri-z,it fit without any modification I do believe.

J.D.
07-21-2004, 01:27 AM
Actually, when I brought it home I compared it and everything looks 100% the same. I guess the older YZ motor is the same, but for like an 85 YZ they changed. From the looks of it the Tri-Z motor will be a direct bolt in. Maybe someday I will find a new left sidecase for the YZ motor...or I may just sell it. I dunno. I'll try to get some pics tommorow.

Jeb
07-21-2004, 09:03 AM
You may want to look into transfering the YZ cylinder, ignition, etc. onto your Z bottom end. that'll give you a powervalve engine to use in either the YZ or the Tri-Z. I think there's a plug in the Tri-Z clutch cover that you can knock out for the powervalve linkage.

Might be easier to do than you think! You'll have a forward kicking YZ and a powervalved Tri-Z! :Bounce