PDA

View Full Version : 250R CDI trouble???

X2guy
07-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I just picked up an 86 250R and I can't seem to get spark...well consistent spark. It probably will spark once every 10 to 15 kicks. The guy I got it from put a new stator and pick up in it so I don't think that this is the problem. The wiring harness is kinda messed up but I checked it and it to the wiring diagram and it is fine (at least the ignition is). I have a feeling that it's the CDI. Does anyone know how I can check or know where I can get info on how to check it with my volt meter and what type of readings I should get?
Thanks for the help.

wanta86r
12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
i had the same problem with a 1986 250r i picked up a few years back, i would check the coil and plug wire first, it totally cured my problem. If the wire harness is that bad you might want to consider finding a nice used one on ebay while you still can

3 or die
12-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I had a long, drawn out dramma with that. If they would just stop sparking all together it would help. I switched all that stuff, and it ended up being a bad flywheel. A factory honda book can help with testing. I dont think a normal ohm metor will work. I just kept swaping stuff till it was fixed. It wasnt cheep. Good luck

Apollo
12-23-2004, 08:30 PM
My cdi was bad after a lot of testing. The part is discontinued if that is indeed what you need. I got a TRX 250R cdi. I heard it was the same thing as ATC. Well, it runs like my old one with no problems. I forgot that I even put it in until now. Good luck.

3 or die
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes those are the same. Remember that a 85 250r cdi wont work unless you change the harness as well. Good luck