PDA

View Full Version : Z help

mevaters
07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey, I just jave a little problem with the 1985 z now. It ran sweet yesterday after I had some rearend work done to it, went on a 25 KM trail ride. But today its raining pretty heavily and here is the problem. When its raining the bike is a little hard to start and I usually have to replace the plug. At first when I would give it gas it would just sputter and act like it was going to die, so i would pull in the clutch and let it sit for a minute. After I got it good enough to go drive through the gears it was doing fine. I did some heavy duty mudding, wooo hooo. Then on the way home the path had pretty high grass and it was really wet. By the time I hit the end of the path the bike died and would not even try to start. Now if its sunny tomorrow it will start up and work fine. Does this mean that there is water getting into the engine or something? Or is it something else? I have replaced the spark plug boot and put some grease on most of the wires. I do have a rip in my hose that goes from the airfilter to the carb but I wraped it up with duct tape until the new one I ordered comes in.
Also this might sound stupid but where do you put in crank oil and what type of oil do you use?

TimSr
07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
My first guess would have been the plug boot, but since you replaced it, it may be a problem with the plug wire, which you cant change without replacing the coil. Its easy to check. Start it up (dry), and then selectively water down the suspected problem areas until you cause a problem. Something you can control and focus the spray with works great.