PDA

View Full Version : 200x will not rev

GBA-BOB
07-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi, This is my first to post on the board. I just picked up a nice 83’ 200x it’s been sitting since 99’. When I got it would start and idle fine but bog down and stall as soon as the throttle was turned. I removed the carburetor disassembled it soaked it in cleaner over-night reassembled and put it back on. I didn’t do anything with the throttle cable or needle. It still starts on the first or second kick and idles great but will die if any throttle is given, if I almost completely choke the carburetor I can get it to rev up. The air filter is off and the fuel line is new so I know it's getting fuel and air. Other then this, the engine seams great. I’ve ordered a carb kit I figure it’s a good idea to rebuild the carburetor. Any other ideas on what to do next would be appreciated.

smokinp
07-19-2004, 02:19 PM
welcome to the board!you will love it here.try putting some new gas in it and a new spark plug,what does the spark plug look like?

ejc042
07-19-2004, 02:39 PM
If you have to chake it to get it to rev, it is probably a little rich. Try with the air filter on and the air box lid on, this will restrict air flow some.

samster143
07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I think you mean Lean Ejc042. I agree however that no airfilter may be giving a problem. The stock set-up is pretty restrictive and without it the carb will definitely need some serious tuning for it to run perfectly. My .02

TimSr
07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Also an obstruction in the exhaust will show these symptoms.

GBA-BOB
07-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did put a new plug and gas in it. The air filter that was on it was torn open. I’ve got a new filter ordered. I’ll close up the tear and see how that woks.

GBA-BOB
07-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Well I tried your suggestions, Thanks but no luck. Late last night I put a different main jet in the carburetor (as the one that was in it still looked dirty even after sitting in carb cleaner overnight). I only had time to kick it a few times this morning before going to work, a couple of times it tried to start but not enough to see if the new jet made any difference. Any other ideas on what to do when I get home this evening?

Glenn J
07-20-2004, 01:26 PM
You may want to pull the peckcock and check the in tank fuel strainer. It may be clogged, but allowing enough fuel to get through to allow the engine to idle.

trikerider2oo7
07-20-2004, 01:29 PM
yea...the petcock may need cleaned

GBA-BOB
07-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I'll make sure the pecock is open, but wouldn't the motor rev till the carburetor bowl emptied? Now the engine dies as the throttle is turned.

Glenn J
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Remove the petcock from the tank. The petcock has a strainer built into it that keeps the big particles from making it in to the fuel line then into the carb. If the strainer is clogged, it may be letting enough fuel by to keep the blow filled when idling, but not enough when the engine is reved.