PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Has Hic-up... Help?

HOTROD1962
07-19-2004, 11:54 AM
HI EVERYONE. I JUST REBUILT MY 185S, NEW CYLINDER, (200) NEW BORE (.020 STOCK COMPRESSION), NEW PISTON, RINGS, TIMING CHAIN, NEW VALVES, NEW CARB. IT STARTS GREAT, IDLES GREAT, BUT HAS WHAT I CALL A HIC-UP BACK THROUGH THE CARB AT LOWER RPMS UNDER A SLIGHT LOAD. ONCE YOUR PAST THAT LOWER RPM LUGGING I WOULD CALL IT, IT WILL WIND FAST, PULL HARD, EVERYTHING IT SHOULD. EXCEPT FOR THAT LITTLE HIC-UP ITS GREAT!. I PLAYED WITH THE TIMING AND IT DIDNT CURE IT THE VALVES WERE SET AT .002 WHEN COLD. I BOUGHT THE CARB NEW FROM BEATRICE AND DIDNT TOUCH IT EXCEPT FOR SETTING THE IDLE. ITS A 25mm BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT. ANY IDEAS?? I THOUGHT MAYBE ONE NOTCH RICHER ON THE NEEDLE JET MAYBE??? A LITTLE LEAN?? IM OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS. ONE MORE THING, CLYMER SAYS SET TIMING AT IDLE BUT IN THE SAME BREATHE THEY SAY 1400 RPM. I DIDNT THINK IDLE WAS 1400 RPM. WICH IS IT? TIME WITH ADVANCE MECHANISM CLOSED OR FULLY ADVANCED?? THANKS! ROD... :beer

smokinp
07-19-2004, 12:23 PM
what does the spark plug look like?

HOTROD1962
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Spark Plug Looks White On The Very Tip Of Insulator, But I Would Say Carbon Black All Around It. It Has Done Some Idling

smokinp
07-19-2004, 12:39 PM
maybe try a new spark plug.

TimSr
07-19-2004, 12:57 PM
They mean to turn the idle speed up to 1400rpms to set it.

Please do not post in all caps. Postings in all caps are not allowed and are removed. Im letting you slide on this one because you are new to the board.

HOTROD1962
07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Sorry about the Caps. I tried a new plug, still the same. Im assuming then if they want the idle at 1400prm that would put the mechanical advance fully open? ill try the timing there and let you know what happens. Thanks, Rod...

R_Daneel_Olivaw
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
[B]Try taking the cdi cover off, and make sure the timing is set while idling, not advanced. there are two letters on the flywheel...t and f. the line between these letters is the one to use to line up the base of the motor. then check the line on the camshaft keyway and see if it's lined up with the little black box. you can advance this a few degrees by loosening the timing plate and turning it slightly clockwise. Don't get too crazy with advancing it, though...too much will burn a hole in the piston. If this is not the problem, then i would say try taking out the air filter and replacing it, the air filter on a small engine plays a much bigger role than in an automobile. the plug being white suggests to much advance already. good luck..hope this helps.