PDA

View Full Version : 250es clutch sprag

atcmatt
07-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Gidday.

I have my good 250es motor torn right down at the moment but it looks as though i am going to have the chassis all done before i get this motor rebuilt. So i have decided in the meantime to put my parts motor in it. Im sure the parts motor runs but the clutch sprag is gone in it. I took off my centrifugal clutch on the motor im tearing down and got out the sprag clutch to use in this parts motor that will be in it in the meantime. I looked in my manual today and noticed that it also has a sprag clutch behind the flywheel. On this parts motor all i know is that the kickstart slips and ive heard this is cause of a bad sprag clutch (i have read previous posts on this). I dunno if this motor makes a clunk noise cause ive never seen it running. The reason i ask this is because i dont wanna go swapping out both sprag clutches because it costs me money to get the flywheel pulled (i dont have a puller) and if i dont have to waste money i wont.

So my questions are....

Which sprag clutch is usually bad if the kickstarter slips?

And is the noise it makes (the spinning and clunk noise) the same sprag clutch that causes the kickstart to slip? Or is that the sprag clutch behind the flywheel that makes it clunk?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

broook
07-18-2004, 07:37 AM
If your kickstarter slips it is the one way sprag behind the centrifical clutch.
In most cases this will also stop the clunk when you shut of the motor.

Howdy
07-18-2004, 09:33 AM
If your kickstarter slips it is the one way sprag behind the centrifical clutch.
In most cases this will also stop the clunk when you shut of the motor.

This is correct. The clutch sprag behind the centrifical clutch is the one that causes kickstarter slippage problems. If you need a new sprag I have one. I think I also have a new flywheel puller. The pullers are actually faily cheap. I think they run $10 or so.
Howdy

atcmatt
07-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the help.

I will be right Howdy, i will just swap out the sprag clutches but thanks for the offer anyhow. I think i might go look for a flywheel puller too. Would it be best just to buy it direct from honda? I have the part no. for it. What do you think?

Matt

broook
07-19-2004, 07:14 AM
I bought a universal one from my local Honda dealer. It has four different thread sizes on it. I am not sure if they are made by Honda or not but I doubt it. Was only a little over $20-00canadian. One of the other threads came in handy for my m/cycle. Saved me from going out and buying another one.

Dads
07-19-2004, 08:53 AM
the puller is 10. or 11 at the dealer

atcmatt
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I ended up getting my flywheel pulled today by our local motorbike shop for free. I guess only because we have been to him before and im sure we will be bakc there, hes a great guy. Thansk for all the help.

Matt