PDA

View Full Version : Keyed ignition

84honda 200X
07-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Is it possible to put a keyed ignition on a 84 200X. I would like to have one because im worried some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro kid is gonna jump on it when im not lookin at someones house and take it for a spin. And as antitheft device.

TimSr
07-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Just use a tether kill switch.

84honda 200X
07-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Wont work i want a key so i can take it out and not worry about anyone starting it with out me saying they can.

TimSr
07-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Do you know what a tether kill switch is? You pull it off and take it with you. They cant start it unless happen to have another switch cap that fits.

84honda 200X
07-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh ok i thought you were tlakin about the type on a snowmobile. Lol i feel like an idiot now.

jeswinehart
07-18-2004, 08:10 AM
Is it possible to put a keyed ignition on a 84 200X. I would like to have one because im worried some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro kid is gonna jump on it when im not lookin at someones house and take it for a spin. And as antitheft device.

the black wire on the left handle bar control is the one that you should use to wire in a key switch or tether ( or a toggle switch for that matter ).
i think if you was to use any other wires to shut it down you might run the risk of screwing up the c.d.i. box .

john

erussell
07-18-2004, 09:01 AM
He is talking about the type used on a snowmobile. I had one on Arctic Cat that I sold this spring. They are only about $12-20.

leprogle
07-18-2004, 09:32 AM
my friend has a tether switch on his banshee, we started it without it because all it is a button, you just have to push it in, you can buy a small key from a hardware store, for like 20 bucks, just wire it to the same wires as your kill switch, just put it somewheres on the bike that isn't really noticeable like behind the headlight, or under the gas tank or something. that's what i'm going to put on my 200x. my friend's banshee, has the same thing, i have one on my 185s too. and i know a few others with banshees that have it also.

leprogle
07-18-2004, 09:35 AM
by small key, i mean an ignition switch

x.system
07-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Do you know what a tether kill switch is? You pull it off and take it with you. They cant start it unless happen to have another switch cap that fits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43976&item=2483743006

I believe this is what TimSr is talking about, I use these on all my bikes and you take the tether with you like a key if you want to keep people from riding your machine.

Howdy
07-18-2004, 10:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43976&item=2483743006

I believe this is what TimSr is talking about, I use these on all my bikes and you take the tether with you like a key if you want to keep people from riding your machine.

You are correct that is what Tim Sr was talking about. How ever I wouldn't pay $9.99 for shipping on something you could ship Priority Mail for less than 1/2 of that.
Howdy

84honda 200X
07-18-2004, 12:04 PM
So just take the switch box witht he lights and on off switch and take the black wire out right and wire it to an ignition? I think thats waht you guys mean i think ill put it under the air scoop on the tank.

TimSr
07-18-2004, 04:00 PM
This are made to mount to the handlebars. They are required for racing. The idea is you hook the other end to yourself, and if you unexpectantly exit the bike, it pulls the cap off and it kills the bike. The easiest way to hook them up is to ground one wire of the kill switch to the frame, and hook the other to the input wire to the coil. This input to teh coil wire is usually on a spade connector, so all you have to do is stick the bare end wire in the spade connector and then plug it in. No soldering or splicing required. When the cap pops off the coil input is grounded, and you lose spark.

vartiak15
07-18-2004, 06:08 PM
then what would we do with the light buttons? is there a way i can take a switch i have and connect the wires to it and make it work?

84honda 200X
07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
i was gonna just leave the switches alone but reroute the ignition wire. Leave the light switches where they are.

CHAINSAW
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM

This is no substitue for a set of keys. Anyone with 2 quarters can start your machine with a tethered kill switch, Ive done it on my own machines.

Its possable to rig one up. Just gotta know a little about wiring. You would probably have to place it under the tank, like on most Harleys.

x.system
07-18-2004, 10:50 PM
This is no substitue for a set of keys. Anyone with 2 quarters can start your machine with a tethered kill switch, Ive done it on my own machines.

Its possable to rig one up. Just gotta know a little about wiring. You would probably have to place it under the tank, like on most Harleys.

Yea, and anyone that wants to ride it bad enuff will cut the wires to the keyed ignition and start it right up. Either way a keyed ignition or a tether will work for what he is needing it for. My tether is placed under my handle bar pad, hard to see if your not looking for it and most kids don't even know what it is without the tether attached.

Heres a simple way to keep your bike in its place, buy a paddle lock $5 and put it on your rear sprocket over your chain, just dont forget to take it off, lol.

Another simple fix...pop off the spark plug boot..That will take kids a few minutes to figure out.

84honda 200X
07-19-2004, 12:32 AM
i used to pop it off but i decided that i was sick of that so im gonna add a key or a switch under the seat.