PDA

View Full Version : 200x timing chain problem (difficult)

Yamaha_Rules69
07-16-2004, 01:52 AM
My timing chain on my 1985 Honda 200x is way loose! The 200x engine has a 185s bottom end with a 200x top end and carb. Anyway, I think its the slider that touches or is supposed to push on the chain. The slider I am talking about is the longer one, with the bow shape to it, which is connected near the top section of the head with a bolt. I swapped the slider, because the original one that was on the 185s bottom end broke, and I replaced it with one off a 200x engine and put it in there correctly. Could they be diffrent? Could the 185s one have more bow than the 200x? They both seem to line up the same, where you connect it on the bottom on the other side of the flywheel, and also on top, where that bolt goes through.
Im pretty sure it cant be that chain tensioner bolt on the block, because the smaller bolt that tightens/loosens is all the way to the top, and the rod that pushes to create chain slack is not sticking in there, because I have the whole flywheel case off. Tightening the little bolt down gives it more slack, but still, no way to tighten there.

If anyone has an idea of what might be wrong, please let me know. I cannot figure it out, and it is starting to drive me nuts. Thanx.

samster143
07-16-2004, 02:58 PM
The chain is probably wore out. I don't think they last a really long time. Powroll sells one they say is way better than aftermarket and stock.

n8dizzle2003
07-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I checked in Dennis Kirk and the part numbers for a cam chain are identical for a 185s and all 200 models. Same goes with the chain tensioners. My guess would be that your chain is strectched. spend the 20 or so dollars and get you a new chain while you have it apart or else it will just break and u will end up replacing it anyways. Also check the see if the Chain Tensiorers (sp?) are wore. I just bought a new chain for mine and I will measure it tommorrow and let you know the length of it... Allright Good luck

4cylinders
07-17-2004, 12:16 AM
hey, sometimes those tensioners stick, so check it out before you buy a chain.

Yamaha_Rules69
07-17-2004, 01:07 AM
I got it all figured out finally. It turns out that the timing chain was wore out, and I replaced that with a diffrent 200x one that worked out great. I also noticed that the cam sprocket was slightly worn on a few teeth, I also replaced that, and now it sits in there perfect, and the chain is no longer loose. Thanx guys for the help!