PDA

View Full Version : 5 hp Briggs or ATC 90

esoltve
07-15-2004, 01:49 PM
What engine would have more power or speed(withthe same setup) a 5 hp briggs or a ATC90 engine. The 5hp says 206cc...but you know how that works. I am planning on putting one or the other in the Scat Tracker I bought, ...the only thing is rigging up a shifter for the 90

TrikeKid
07-15-2004, 03:27 PM
didnt those have a briggs style engine to start with. Thats what i'd use.

trikerider2oo7
07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
i would just put the briggs in it so that i didnt have to worry about riggin the shifter and shiftin that would be kinda hard anyways

plkmonster2
07-15-2004, 05:55 PM
I think the 90 has around 6 hp?? But I'm not sure. Actually, a shifter wouldn't be hard. I had a go-kart with a 110 motor. I turned the shift lever up, and made a lever that sat to the left of me. Then I hooked a piece of steel rod from the middle of the lever, to the top of the shifter. This lever was actuated by my left hand. Pushing it forwarded would shift it down. It worked great while I had it.

mightywheels
07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
BRIGGS HAS SO MANY 5 HP ENGINES IF IT IS A INTEK YOU WILL BE HAPPY AND YOU WILL WANT TO CHANGE THE CARB IF YOU EXPECT ANY ACCELERATION AND A BIT HIGHER RPM. jUST DONT GO EXTREME ON THE CARB OR YOU WILL HAVE A MISS MATCH.
gOOD LUCK

Macs
07-15-2004, 06:29 PM
yopu can also get trannys for the briggs engines. you see them sometimes on ebay. i had one on a go cart, 3spd with reverse. that thing would really move

hondatrikesrule22
07-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a go-kart with a 5 horse briggs,it has the govenor off, and it moves for what it is(it will beat my 110 off the line and most most of the race).

esoltve
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
didnt those have a briggs style engine to start with. Thats what i'd use.

I thought about keeping it original, but it needed so much work I wouldnt mind changing it up a little. I have the Briggs it came with and one 90 and one 110 engine laying around. I painted the frame and wheels a gold metallic and the plastic a darkblue. Then I got a custom striper to put gold and chrome stripes on the plastic.

What kind of different exhausts can I get for just a Briggs. I want something a little bigger to hang out the back a little.

mightywheels
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
do you have a link for trannys that fit briggs
Thanks

hondatrikesrule22
07-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Hey, I was over at bluetaxx last night, and a guy said that www.jegs.com(yes,the car people) has a ton of performance parts for briggs and stratton motors.

esoltve
07-16-2004, 04:51 PM
My other thought is putting a hydrostatic transmission on it and take the governor off that...it would be different

H.M.F.I.C.
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Jegs has everything you would ever want to buy for a 5hp briggs. They sell the stuff for junior jegsters which is just scaled down top fuel type drag cars. Just about any big drag race you go to will have some junior jegsters there. I used to have a go-kart that I raced on 1/4 mile dirt ovals. I used a 5hp briggs and when I finished the work on the engine it pumped out a healthy 17hp at the crank on the dyno. I had about $800 in mine but you can put over $4,000 in the engine alone if you want.