PDA

View Full Version : Broken case....

250RWANTER
07-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Okay, on an 86 250R...the left side case is broken. Where the shifter comes out of the case, on tht bottom side of the shifter, there is a chunk that busted out. Obviously all the oil drained out.

What is the best way to go about fixing this? Can I get just that half of the case?

Any chance that it can be fixed? I doubt it though, its the bottom half of where the seal to the shifter is at. :Evil

Whole new case?

Anyone have one for sale?

Any ideas?

Is it a biaaattccchhh to pull the case apart?

x.system
07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
It can be repaired or you can buy just that side case. A new case half is a little over $200 at service honda. If you want to have it repaired you need to find someone who is good at welding aluminum, a machine shop is going to be your best bet for this. Used case halfs go for about $100 and they usually have broken mounting tabs for the case saver. I would buy a manual and a new left case half and tear into it.

Honda300ex
07-13-2004, 12:26 AM
I had the same probly.. i think about every 250r has had it broke it seems like. I just used some JB weld on mine with a hose clamp.. its really nigger riged but it works for now till i can afford a new case. Your best bet is to probly replace it unlerss you can find some one that is a good welder and pull it part to fix it. Theres not really much to splitting the cases. If you try to find a good used case your probly going to spend about as much as a new one would cost, maybe 30-40 less, Good Luck.

Dads
07-13-2004, 07:18 AM
I would get it welded. and then dremmel the seal hole back to the right size.
They make a two part aluminium puddy that will work. cost $30.00.
I use it to repair chiped ears and striped threads. can be drilled and taped.

Jeb
07-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I've got the same problem. Mine is missing the piece that broke off under the shifter. It was covered in JB weld when I got it. When I chiseled that stuff off, I was hoping that it wasn't missing pieces. Well, I say chiseled, it was more like one tap and the stuff broke off like glass. Inside was a piece of beer can and a hose clamp. :eek: but sadly, the broken off case piece was missing. had it been there, I would have had it welded.

I've got a machine shop at my disposal, well for some "government" work now and then anyway. I've set around trying to think up clever and not so clever ways to fix it besides any kind of puddy or JB weld. Always come back to the same conclusion. I've got to split it anyway, so just buy a new case and do it right.

85 model Part #11002-HA2-000, CRANKCASE Assy., L. Service Honda Price $279.54. Honda List Price $388.18.

For me, i'm DEBATING e-baying some Tecate stuff, old mags, etc. whatever I can to help fund the case. Whatever I can decide to part with.

Honda300ex
07-13-2004, 10:56 AM
How come the 87 Cases are only $231?? And 85 are so much highere.. arent they the same? Service honda list 87s for $231. Thats what ill probly order.

Jeb
07-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Man, I don't know, except for maybe paint color! But thanks for posting that info!

What's the difference in the part numbers?

We need somebody to clarify this because the difference might have something to do with the long rod/short rod motors.

I priced the 85 Part, but my center cases are gun metal grey, not black like the clutch and flywheel covers, cylinder, and head. meaning 86 or up. :rolleyes:

are any of the left center cases different between the 85-89 ATC & TRX 250Rs?????

Xowner
07-13-2004, 11:20 AM
yea the 88 89 motors were the "long rod motors" right ? what about the 86 trx left case it was like 230 and some change why not buy that one?

250RWANTER
07-13-2004, 11:57 AM
So is what the 'case saver' is for? too keep this from happening? My holes are cracked or busted off where the bolts hold it on.

Guess I'll keep an eye out for a left side case. From the sounds of it, this seems to be a common problem.

How do they normally end up broken? Chain come off and whack it? or you hit it on something?

So....if I find one from a 1985-1987 ATC or TRX it should work?

Thanks for the info!

Honda300ex
07-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Any water cooled atc or trx case will work. They normally get broken by the chain, but some times retards like me land on the shifter shaft after coming over a jump and push it down. Case savers help alot but like most them bolts holes are broken off. We could all get case savers like Xowner..hahaha...

x.system
07-13-2004, 06:34 PM
I've got the same problem. Mine is missing the piece that broke off under the shifter. It was covered in JB weld when I got it. When I chiseled that stuff off, I was hoping that it wasn't missing pieces. Well, I say chiseled, it was more like one tap and the stuff broke off like glass. Inside was a piece of beer can and a hose clamp. :eek: but sadly, the broken off case piece was missing. had it been there, I would have had it welded.

I've got a machine shop at my disposal, well for some "government" work now and then anyway. I've set around trying to think up clever and not so clever ways to fix it besides any kind of puddy or JB weld. Always come back to the same conclusion. I've got to split it anyway, so just buy a new case and do it right.

85 model Part #11002-HA2-000, CRANKCASE Assy., L. Service Honda Price $279.54. Honda List Price $388.18.

For me, i'm DEBATING e-baying some Tecate stuff, old mags, etc. whatever I can to help fund the case. Whatever I can decide to part with.

Lets see where yours is broke, I have some busted up left cases that have the part you need. If you have a machine shop I know you can cut off this part and attach it to your case depending on how much is gone from yours.

250RWANTER
07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the same place mine is broke. I dont have the piece either. Just a chunk missing. Clean brake too.

Xowner, what kind of case save do you have? I am referring to this comment : "We could all get case savers like Xowner..hahaha"

Honda300ex
07-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Xowner has a huge, i mean HUGE case saver.. it mounts to the foot peg. he has a pic of it.. kinda cool idea.

Jeb
07-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Lets see where yours is broke, I have some busted up left cases that have the part you need. If you have a machine shop I know you can cut off this part and attach it to your case depending on how much is gone from yours.

I'll try to get a pic of it this evening and post it tomorrow.

It's like the whole bottom of the shifter boss is broken off, at an angle.

Honda300ex
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Like this???
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/p1fa670009a1262e214550e74e548b979/f9a036f2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pf9ed64c6abdf9a3ddb2d86fcaac74599/f99d6ee5.jpg

So i JB welded it and stuck a hose calmp around it.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/p9a3de6dab8dcf72ec31c23c66d13cc4b/f9590303.jpg

Jeb
07-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Here's mine.

250RWANTER
07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
That is exactly how mine is broken!

x.system
07-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Here's mine.

You both have alot missing from that area, I don't know if you could repair them or not. If they weren't broke off so far back you could cut off a section from this case to repair yours. This case was broke also but it never hit the shifter shaft area, I just pulled the transmission out where the front sprocket used to be.

Jeb
07-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Man! That break was nasty! busted out the whole counter shaft area! Isn't it funny how the case saver screws, clutch actuator boss and shift shaft are undamaged. Did it break from a chain derailment or was it knocked out or something trying to split cases?

That would be a good case to cut the shifter boss off and try to attach to another. I've thought about machining as much off of mine as possible then making a part to go back on. I've also thought about cutting the broken boss off as close to the case as I can and then weld it up and then machine a new through hole and a counterbore for the seal. It would be moving the seal area closer in to the case with more of the shift shaft exposed under the sprocket. It would provide a little more clearance to maybe be beneficial if it ever de-railed again.

The best way for me is going to be just to replace the case with a new one or a good used one.

Honda300ex
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I might do that with my old case, Make the boss area smallerd. since i have all the parts to mine, it shoulds like it would be better to keep from breaking but what about the shifter shaft wouldnt it make it weaker?

Jeb
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
The way I saw it, I'd rather bust a shifter shaft off all day long than bust a center case.

x.system
07-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Man! That break was nasty! busted out the whole counter shaft area! Isn't it funny how the case saver screws, clutch actuator boss and shift shaft are undamaged. Did it break from a chain derailment or was it knocked out or something trying to split cases?

That would be a good case to cut the shifter boss off and try to attach to another. I've thought about machining as much off of mine as possible then making a part to go back on. I've also thought about cutting the broken boss off as close to the case as I can and then weld it up and then machine a new through hole and a counterbore for the seal. It would be moving the seal area closer in to the case with more of the shift shaft exposed under the sprocket. It would provide a little more clearance to maybe be beneficial if it ever de-railed again.

The best way for me is going to be just to replace the case with a new one or a good used one.

Happened in a race, second gear blew and knocked out two holes, one in front of the sprocket and one behind the sprocket, that weakened the case and the chain pulled the rest of the transmission out of the motor. Its a very clean break except where the two holes are, never did find those pieces.

Jeb
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
That explains it! blew up from the inside.