PDA

View Full Version : Won't start

barrycoish
07-10-2004, 01:47 PM
My '84 ATC 200X doesn't seem to want to start and I am getting very frustrated! Seems to have spark, compression and the fuel is getting from the tank to the carb. But the bike just doesn't seem to be sucking in the fuel? 3rd carb on it and still nothing. Last time I checked it seemed to have suction at the intake port so I am very confused. Any ideas?

hondatrikesrule22
07-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Put in a new spark before you start tearing things apart. ;)

3 weelin geezer
07-11-2004, 02:42 AM
did it run before? Or have you taken it apart for some maintenance or upgrade? Mine didn't run for about a year until I recently discovered I put the cdi rotor back in wrong when it popped out and fell apart in two pieces. What rotten luck, to have a 50-50 chance and end up with the short stick. I'm never going to vegas to 'spend' my $$ !!

eh_tee_see
07-11-2004, 03:37 AM
assuming the early 200x motor is a lot like the 185 top end, i am basing all these assumptions on experiences with a 185.

One time i was joyously riding about on my 185 on perhaps the most miserable day of winter, and it just up and quit on me. so i went through the basics:

spark
fuel
compression

all 3 checked out just fine, and boy i tell you i was racking my brains out!!!
and so i was ready to take it all apart and then for kicks and giggles i removed my valve caps to set the valves. Well i guess the valves were just a bit too tight. so i adjusted them to .003 and it started up first pull, and unfortunately also in gear and it ran over my toyo stove haha. so try that

barrycoish
07-11-2004, 09:22 AM
I put the motor together from pieces and took a bit of playing around before it ran properly. Initially the valves were too tight so I adjusted them at that time and then it ran okay for about a day or 2 and then like you said it died when one of my buddies took it out and I thought he just stalled it and then flooded it. So I pulled tghe plug and to my surprize it wasn't evenm wet. So I checked the electrical, changed the carb, checked to see if there was any suction coming through from the intake manifold and it seemed fine. Put it all back together and what do you know ran even better thatn before. But it is acting up again now. Not even like it wants to start and my foot is killing me from kicking it over so much.