PDA

View Full Version : Oh Great Bent sparkplug tip. Need opinions!

ClayW
07-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Ok guys I just got this 83 Honda 110 thursday. It was up against a chicken house with chicken crap all over it. Its Blue. Anyway got it for free. Cant beat that. Well I started to work on it yesterday and try and get it going. I am getting fire, but not real strong. Not near as strong as my daughters 70 atc. But it is steadily fireing. So I cleaned the carb and intake, put it back on, and pulled the plug out. the tip of the threaded portion on one side was slightly bent like the piston hit it? The tip that you gap was bent down flush with the electrode. I guess the guy had put the wrong plug in it. So anyway with this in mind what do you think it hit. The valve? The piston? And if so which one. And do you think it could have damaged the valve or piston? I have never ran across this in a trike, or bike. Should i go and buy a new plug and see what it does? Any ideas on the weak spark? Any insight and opinions would be appreciated. :TrikesOwn

ClayW

H.M.F.I.C.
07-09-2004, 09:23 PM
The only reason I can think of for the piston or valves to hit the plug is having the wrong plug installed. It couldn't have hit to hard or it would have locked the engine up. I also think that since you have to pull the rope to start it you wouldn't really get enough force on it to cause any damage like an electric starter would. I hear those blue ones are rare also. I don't really have any idea on the fore though. I believe the 83's have electronic ignition. Not sure though, if it has points you could check them.

ClayW
07-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Yeah it has CDI ignition. The plug is wrong. I guess the guy put the wrong one in there. Threaded portion of the plug is longer. Hopefully it didnt hurt anything. It just sucks that I got it that way. I buy all of my plugs from honda. NGK's.

jeswinehart
07-09-2004, 11:03 PM
i would try a new "correct " plug clay and go from there.

john

( darn good find ! )

whiteman350x
07-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Had the same thing happen on a 110. The wrong plug was in it when I got it and it hit a valve. Had to replace the valve and it was o.k. after that.

ClayW
07-10-2004, 09:59 PM
I havent looked yet are new valves hard to come by. I wouldnt be suprised if it was bent. With the plug out and the engine rotated to the right spot you can see the valve thru the spk plug hole plain as day. Sticks out quite a ways. Ok. Got another question. I am very mechanically inclined. I have worked on alot of engines, but the old man was incharge if you know what I mean. He knows his stuff. It cant be too difficult to do. another question. If I do tear the top end down. Shoud I put new rings on the piston, and possibly change the piston. I would hate to not replace the rings and then a week after I get it done, it start smoking. What do you think.

ClayW

Howdy
07-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I havent looked yet are new valves hard to come by. I wouldnt be suprised if it was bent. With the plug out and the engine rotated to the right spot you can see the valve thru the spk plug hole plain as day. Sticks out quite a ways. Ok. Got another question. I am very mechanically inclined. I have worked on alot of engines, but the old man was incharge if you know what I mean. He knows his stuff. It cant be too difficult to do. another question. If I do tear the top end down. Shoud I put new rings on the piston, and possibly change the piston. I would hate to not replace the rings and then a week after I get it done, it start smoking. What do you think.

ClayW

If your in there fixing a valve you might as well check the piston & rings. This will save you time aand money. Gasket sets aren't free. ;)

Valves are easy to find. I have new and good used ones at our shop. Being as I am working on my house, I won't be out there until Tuesday at the earliest. ;)
Howdy

ClayW
07-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks Howdy. I will give you a shout in a few days about the valves and gaskets.

ClayW

eh_tee_see
07-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Had the same thing happen on a 110. The wrong plug was in it when I got it and it hit a valve. Had to replace the valve and it was o.k. after that.
hey me too!