PDA

View Full Version : oil:fuel ratios

TRI Z Racer
12-29-2002, 05:06 AM
what kind of oil:fuel ratios do people run on 2 strokes. what brand? I personally run a 40:1 mix with spectro full-syn . it seems rich, what do you think?

Kilborg
12-29-2002, 08:19 AM
For one thing, i really dont care for spectro products. I run BelRay myself. Alot of others like maxima, klotz, etc.

For synthetics, 50:1 is a good ratio. I know of desert riders who run 100:1 ratios and lower.

Synthetics are a little expensive for me, so I run the real stuff. 32:1 is a pretty good baseline ratio. Some guys run 45:1, and some lower. I personally have never ran less then 32:1 in my machines except for when I first put together a motor.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

250rAL
12-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Bel-Ray MC-1 at 50:1.

Mike Fort Laud
12-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Motul 800 Synthetic mixed 36:1 with AV-GAS or VP dirt bike race fuel .

OldSchoolin86
12-29-2002, 12:38 PM
You should be running that spectro at 50:1. Any good synthetic or blend should be ran at 50:1.

350Xrider
12-29-2002, 01:20 PM
I always run 32:1 in everything I have. I mean it is better than running lean and I have yet to foul a plug, so I think it is the best mixture,for me anyhow. I usually just run the cheap $.79 a can stuff from the local market, I know I'll prolly hear it over this, but I mean there isn't much use in running the expensive in my book, It has serverd me well for a good while. I just got a 91 RM 250 Friday, and I finally started running Klotz,it is good stuff. I used to run Golden Spectrum a while back, but I personally have not had a problem with any of it as long as it is ran at 32:1.I like the smell of the Klotz though when it is being burned.

freaksfix
12-29-2002, 01:49 PM
I run spectro at 50 to 1 ....... In my R

bbechtel16
12-29-2002, 04:58 PM
What about Amsoil?

Billy Golightly
12-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Hondaline blue lable non synthetic for me in my 250R, TriZ, Tecate, KDX200 mixed at 36:1.

Kilborg
12-29-2002, 05:29 PM
I also run Hondaline when i have the money and can find it. Pretty good quality oil.

DixiePlowboy
12-30-2002, 12:28 PM
I believe in Maxima 927 Castor and 100 octane Aviation fuel mixed @ about 32:1. Has a nice aroma about it, and it's always worked well for me.

theeechozen1
12-30-2002, 02:13 PM
A good rule of thumb that I use is when using cheaper oils that you need to run @ 32:1 to bump up your main jet size a size or two. This helps make more power with richer fuel. I run power plus @ 50:1 and it has the best bubble gum aroma to it. I haven't heard anybody on this board ever talk about power plus-- is it avalible in your areas??

12-30-2002, 02:39 PM
i use power plus, smokeless! its great, especially at 50:1. i use it in all of my trimmers blowers and stuff

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Spectro, Bell Ray, Torco and cheapo Havoline on a Sunday. I never had a seizure or excessive fouled plugs. Seems like alot of different brands all work, Hmmmmm.

200xer
12-30-2002, 08:24 PM
how much is synthetic compared to the regular stuff?

theeechozen1
12-31-2002, 11:59 AM
usually about 6-8$$ vs. 3-4$$ a quart

TRI Z Racer
01-03-2003, 01:05 AM
i can get full synth spectro for 4.99 a quart, no tax in New Hampshire

kimmer250r
01-03-2003, 01:38 PM
I've been a dealer for amsoil for about 4 years now and love their products. I always use series 2000 2 cycle oil in a 32:1 ratio. However, I have recently come across a new oil that blew me away. It is called Blue Marble oil. This stuff beats anything on the market including my amsoil. Check out the write ups on it. Everything it claims is true. I just recently started using it and it takes about 4 tanks of gas before you notice all that it claims. You can get it through www.nulubes.com. Check out the write up on the enviromental competition it competes in. Their 2 stroke engine is beating 4 strokes in every catagory including less polutents!

hondaracer250R
04-21-2003, 10:30 PM
you se that is wear you all got it wrong amsoil series 2000 is the best and you run it at 50:1 i never fouled a plug or anything
www.amsoil.com

Bill X_R
04-21-2003, 11:03 PM
WOW kimmer, You must think that oil is some good stuff!!!! You just sold out your own product!!!

Godda' admire your honesty!

TimSr
04-21-2003, 11:09 PM
You should be running that spectro at 50:1. Any good synthetic or blend should be ran at 50:1.

Yep, and good nonsynthetics at about 32:1, and cheap nonsynthetics (outboard motor oil, etc.) at 24:1.

And when youre doing the math in deciding whats most economical, be sure to factor in how much oil you use, (cost per gallon of gas) not just the cost per quart of oil, and youll likely find the price difference isnt so great. About 30-50 cents a gallon. Its amusing to me some guys will spend 30 cents a gallon to run 93 octane they dont need, but wont run synthetic oil.

One other fact thats hard to put a cost on. Synthetics run at leaner mixtures will lube better than nonsynthetics run richer. Unless you run each in identical bikes over years, you wont know exactly how much longer your top end will last between bore jobs, but it will.

89cr250_85250es_bigred
04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
i used to run Redline a lot in my bikes and anything i had that was a 2 stroke but have since switched to honda HP2 100% synthetic with the redline i felt i never could get my jetting dead on and i think its because it seprates from the gas so quickly not that thats a bad thing but i think that was the problom as if anyone of you know that your ratio of oil and gas have a big difference on jetting want to learn more vist www.eric-gorr.com and i dont want to explain it all here anyway with the HP2 my bike runs great i mix it at 40:1 with VP C12 race gas i have to my bike predetonates on anyhting lese thats because it makes 220 PSI so its compression is high thnaks the head and cylinder machining anyway i think all the oils that are synthetics are good i just like the HP2 and run it in my CR because i strongley believe in honda and all of hondas products there i threw my 2 cents in to

kimmer250r
04-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Hondaracer, I'm not wrong...sorry. I've been an amsoil dealer for 5 years now and it is good stuff, BUT blue marble is better for two stroke oil. In all tests, bm was the best. Sorry. Just trying to steer people in the right direction billx. Even if it does cut back my sales. lol

J.D.
04-22-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm actually running Yamalube at 32:1 in my Z. Seems pretty good so I think I'll stick with it.

lisnup65
04-22-2003, 10:36 AM
I am thinking of becoming a Blue Marble dealer if anyone is interested. I currentlt do Amsoil and I will not drop that line, but for 2 strokes the BM seems the way to go. Since Nulubes only sells by the case, I figure that maybe some folks here would be interested in quart availability. I submitted my info to them and I am currently waiting for a response. Just think, a 2 stroke with no smoke, more enviromentally freindly than most 4 strokes and an improvement in power and rpm's. I cannot wait to actually give the stuff a try, but I refuse to buy a whole case at cost when I do not know first hand the outcome.

kimmer250r
04-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Lisnup65, I looked into becoming a bm dealer too, but you have to buy a pallet minimum at a time....that's $5000.00 worth of oil. Blue marble doesn't come in quarts either, it only comes in gallons. I know dealer cost for a gallon is $20, but I'd rather pay the $35 a gallon that buy $5000 worth! Bm is only looking for large overhead dealers, I have called and talked to jeff at nulubes a couple of times. Oh well, it's still the best 2 stroke oil.

lisnup65
04-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Lisnup65, I looked into becoming a bm dealer too, but you have to buy a pallet minimum at a time....that's $5000.00 worth of oil. Blue marble doesn't come in quarts either, it only comes in gallons. I know dealer cost for a gallon is $20, but I'd rather pay the $35 a gallon that buy $5000 worth! Bm is only looking for large overhead dealers, I have called and talked to jeff at nulubes a couple of times. Oh well, it's still the best 2 stroke oil.

Thanks for the info!! I have yet to hear from them so it gives me something to go by. I did mean gallon and not quart before. $35.00 or less would be better than a case for over $100.00 at a time. I may still be interested in the skid at around $5K as I would be the primere distributor in my area which would work out OK.

sandrooster
04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Unless you run each in identical bikes over years, you wont know exactly how much longer your top end will last between bore jobs, but it will.

I own an 85 250R(left bike in pic) that's on its original bore. I only use nonsynthetic after advice from a Hare and Hounds scrambler racer.
It still runs really strong and beats most new quads in sand drag 1/2 milers. To include nonpaddled quads: 03 660 raptors, 440ex with FMF pipes, Banshee with Toomey pipes. Banshees with paddles beat me easily.

My point is that my friends R in on its third topend since '96. He used to use 50:1 MC1 until his third topend. He rode alittle more than me but no much. We also ride just as hard on our trikes. He is now a convert because of my experience with nonsythetic mix oil.

I'm curious about others experience with both synthetic and nonsynthetic oil as far as topend rebuilds go.
How many and how often?

89cr250_85250es_bigred
04-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Well i used to use nonsynthetic oil for a long time but never in my CR because this was way before i had it i used to run it in my old elsinores anyway i mean i never seized one up and i rode a long time on its top end which by the way the guy who i bought it from had replaced and put the piston in backwards! but it still ran ok anyway one day i did decide to run some snythetic redline to be exact and i noticed an increase in overall power it felt smoother and just seemed to rev better and thats when i had become a beilever in snythetic plus i had always heard good stuff about it before personally id never run a non synthetic in my CR ever and actully what i hear is the best oil is castor bean oil but is a very dirty oil build carbon quickly ive actully heard that you can mix a bit of castor bean oil with the oil you regularly use and it will help i have yet to try it

ATCkrazy
04-22-2003, 09:13 PM
it really depends on the machine, I got an old 78 yamaha DT175 dirt bike, was orig oil injc but it's been blocked off, I bought a quart of yamalube semi-syntec oil for $3.99 at my shop, mixed one gallon at 25:1 and it fould plugs every day, mixed it at 50:1 and it runs prefect, plugs looks great, my 1983 moto-ski mirage snowmobile I run castrol super high proformance snowmobile oil(about $2.99 a quart) mixed at 32:1, runs fine, it all depends on the machine.

TimSr
04-23-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm curious about others experience with both synthetic and nonsynthetic oil as far as topend rebuilds go.
How many and how often?

I base my theory on the simple observation that I have never seen anybodys test results that ever concluded any differently than friction is reduced by synthetics over nonsynthetics.

As far as bore life, I dont have any nonsynthetic comparisons, but my TriZ has just gotten its 7th bore in 13 years. My 250R needed a bore job when I got it, and its been running over 2 years on the same bore, and same rings with no signs of reduced compression. TimJr's E-Ton is on its 2nd year with this top end, and rings with no reduction in compression. My stuff gets ridden often and hard, probably 75-100 hours a year, which inlcudes both MX and harescrambles. For the first 5 years the Z was ridden even more, as well as the E-Ton. for its first 2.5 years. All my 2 strokes "drink from the same can" of MC1 at 50:1, now mixed with premium that my R needs. Before the R, (3 years ago) I ran 87 octane in everything.

The only noteable observation I have is the 250R topends seem to last a lot longer than TriZ top ends, which I would attribute to the frequent impeller failures the TriZ is known for, which usually arent discovered until it overheats.

loco250r
04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
I run 20:1 in my 250r havent fouled a plug yet! of coarse I don't know what idle is either. Yamalube :twisted: