PDA

View Full Version : Chain question

mevaters
07-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Hey I have a 1885 tri z. The old chain that was on the bike kept coming off so yesterday i put a new chain on. Now today i take it out for some trail driving and the chain was tight but now is really loose and falling off again. Now I know that a chain will stretch but i didn't think it would be that fast. Now the bike doesn't have a chain guard so with the chain scrapping on big hills and deeper mud puddles could be the problem right? And would getting a friend to weld some kind of chain guard on the bike stop the problem or do you think it is something else causing the problem? Thanks Rob

86250RZ
07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Is it the O-ring style chain? if not I bet thats your problem, the non O-ring style chains tend to stretch way to fast on a performace type trike.

TimSr
07-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Is it the O-ring style chain? if not I bet thats your problem, the non O-ring style chains tend to stretch way to fast on a performace type trike.

In addition to what he said, TriZ's almost never throw chains, so I suspect you are missing the plastic chain guide that the chain goes through. The missing skidplate will not cause a chain to come off unless you hit something with the sprocket, but even then, its pretty rare without doing actual sprocket damage. Go to bikebandit.com, under OEM parts, and look up the diagram and you will see the guide I am referring to. The root of your problem in addition to those things listed to help prevent it, is that you're probably out alignment on the rear end carrier. Even if the chain adjustments marks are the same, you need to get down to eye level at the rear sprocket and sight up the chain to make sure the carrier isnt cocked to one side.

mevaters
07-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. No I do not have an o ring chain, just a regular. I do have 2 plastic guards but i think they mat be broken because they don't even really come close to the chain and they don't wrap around it, so I will check the diagram to see if they are wrong. Also I haven't checked to see if they were aligned by eye I suppose that is a good idea to check that too, thanks.

mevaters
07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
I meant to say guide where I typed guard sorry.,

250rAL
07-07-2004, 10:01 AM
1885? Now there's your problem-- it's just too old! Seriously, did you replace your sprockets too? Worn sprockets will not be good for a new chain.