PDA

View Full Version : Blew up the 110

hondaATCman
07-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Yep, I didn't mean to either. It had a new top end job along with a 30 over Pro-X piston and rings. REMINDER!! Check your engine oil level weekly!! I forgot too (didn't know it would use that much oil in a month) I was riding it around the town and went to switch it into high range and it was soo hard to move it wasn't funny and it started to smoke. Then it shut off. Tried to start it back up but it had no compression. I put the two problems together and decided to check the oil level. None at all. :eek: In fact it took a whole quart, which is the capacity for a 110, but it was too late. I tore it apart and found that the rings were completely demolished. I'm hoping a simple hone and a set of rings will solve it.

short4stuff
07-06-2004, 08:07 AM
LOL good job ... But can I ask you something .. if you just did the top end WHY was it burning oil?

bigred110
07-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Oh man you must of drove thing to hell and back. lol
I've had my 79 smoking at pismo pretty good one time and I kept on driving it for onther hour and then it locked up when I was getting ready turn into camp but that thing started right back up and I took off. Checked the oil when I got back to camp and it had zero!

threewheelin-feelin
07-06-2004, 07:07 PM
check trailprotrailpro oil daily before u ride i do

84honda 200X
07-06-2004, 09:01 PM
so do i i always check mine but i also have a bad seal im going to replace this week.

hondatrikesrule22
07-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up hondaATCman! My 110 leaks alittle bit of oil, and I went and checked the oil level yesterday,and it was bone dry! :eek: I will be going to get some oil today. :D I would suggest checking the oil level in all 110s before riding.

hondaATCman
07-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey guys, I just got back from a trip and couldn't respond to the posts when I was gone.

short4stuff-- yeah, it had a fresh bore, piston and rings...but when you have a machine thats 22 years old, especially the shape mine was in when I got it, I think they will all use a little oil. It might not be enough to tell between oil changes or maybe its alot like using a quart in a month like mine did :eek: . Even my '03 Yamaha Big Bear used some oil which I was very surprised of as well as my friends '03 Honda Foreman. (BTW, I change my new quad's motor oil every 500 miles and the diffs every 1000 miles, the 110's oil gets changed every month along with my other machines without an odometer). It also depends on how you drive it. Lets just say I'm not very "easy" on it. :Evil

LOL, I have about twice as much money into this thing now than a brand new one cost back in '82 and its still not MINT so it kinda turned into the city whore. Everybody in town has had a turn to ride. :D

Anyway, parts are on their way. :beer

short4stuff
07-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey guys, I just got back from a trip and couldn't respond to the posts when I was gone.

short4stuff-- yeah, it had a fresh bore, piston and rings...but when you have a machine thats 22 years old, especially the shape mine was in when I got it, I think they will all use a little oil. It might not be enough to tell between oil changes or maybe its alot like using a quart in a month like mine did :eek: . Even my '03 Yamaha Big Bear used some oil which I was very surprised of as well as my friends '03 Honda Foreman. (BTW, I change my new quad's motor oil every 500 miles and the diffs every 1000 miles, the 110's oil gets changed every month along with my other machines without an odometer). It also depends on how you drive it. Lets just say I'm not very "easy" on it. :Evil

LOL, I have about twice as much money into this thing now than a brand new one cost back in '82 and its still not MINT so it kinda turned into the city whore. Everybody in town has had a turn to ride. :D

Anyway, parts are on their way. :beer

a quart a month ?/ ... my 225 used that per tank of gas :D