PDA

View Full Version : 250R Questions...

250RWANTER
07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
How do you know what mixture to run? (1986 250R)

Also, the jets in the carb are 142 main and 42 pilot. Is that 'stock' or?
if smaller or bigger than stock....any reason?

I've read that dial-a-jet does wonders, is it worth getting eventually?

Is it worth pulling the top end off to see if its been bored and to what size? I was told it was, but the guy I got it from was also told that when he bought it. The guy I got it from never rode it a whole lot, couple times a year. I guess I'd just be out a gasket right?

Is the NGK B9EG the right plug to be using? Also, whats is the recommended gap?

How about the reeds, how do I tell if they are stock? I assume I'd have to replace the gasket there too huh?

Thanks!!!

skippy
07-02-2004, 12:46 PM
well dont pull the head.. just run a compression test and see where you are... also alot of people just run the b8es plugs in those.. including myself.. as far as everythg else.. you should to get a manual.. to answer the alot of the questions that pop up..

how does it run? reeds should be replaced annualy.. if you ride ALOT.. are they closing? chipped? you should replace yr gaskets when your pulling the reeds.. also what other mods? pipe? air box? carb? where you ride? once you jet it in.. no need to change, unless your riding location changes.. so no just get some jets, and 6-10 plugs and read them.. see how it runs, check the plug colors..

250RWANTER
07-02-2004, 12:57 PM
I havent checked the reeds, nor do I know how yet. I have manual on order, just waiting for it to come in.

Like I said, my main reason for asking to pull the head was to see if it really has had some work done to it like was said. Just thought it'd make future tuning, etc easier knowing what has been done.

Carb looks stock, but not sure. I am gonna take some pictures of everything so you guys can help me out.

Has an ANSWER silencer and a CRF pipe.

Other than that, I am not sure.

md1985250r
07-02-2004, 05:38 PM
your first question is an easy one....whatever the oil manufacturer says, it varies widely by brand and by opinion on this board. i would say to start out mixing it at about 32:1, see how it runs, does it smoke alot? If it smokes alot and or fouls plugs lean it out a little .
To check the reeds you will need to pull the carb off and then you can remove the reeds. My experience with these is limited, but I would say that appearance is everything.If they look damaged or worn , replace them. good luck, GREG