PDA

View Full Version : is my timing off

martyrsxblood
07-01-2004, 08:02 PM
is my timing off if i took the sproket off the timing chain if it is how do fix it

n8dizzle2003
07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
what model do you have? On the stator there is a T. Make sure the lobes on the camshaft are pointing down ( the screw holes for the cam gear should be vertical.) and just bolt your cam gear back on. U will need to adjust the timing by looking at the F on the stator and matching that with your CDI. Why did u take your cam gear off anyways?

martyrsxblood
07-02-2004, 01:40 AM
its a 84 110 atc i was boring it out and when i was taking off the cylinder the timing chain sprocket fell off the chain can i just put the sproket anyware or do the teeth need to be in a certain spot

3 weelin geezer
07-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Quick question: did you take out the camshaft? It shouldn't. As long as the ignition is firing when the valves are closed it will work. I have spent the last year or so wondering what the heck I did to mine (81 185s) that it wouln't start. I tried taking out the bolts at the sprocket and turning the crank to make the cam 180 deg. from where it was and it still didn't start. Turns out it was firing the plug during the exhaust stroke. It was the cdi rotor that was bass ackwards. I think I dropped it a long time ago and it fell apart then I mistakenly put it back wrong since it doesn't have any marks on it to tell which way is up.

Smackboy
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Having the same problem, it seems like it would be real easy to be off by 1 or 2 teeth even. Isn't there a way, such as: Piston top dead center, cam lobes facing down - or something of that nature for lining this stuff up?

samster143
07-02-2004, 12:40 PM
TDC and cam lobe facing down is how it is done.

plkmonster2
07-02-2004, 05:47 PM
For a 110, on the flywheel, there is 2 marks, an F and a T. Line the T up with the small mark on one of the stator coils. Then, turn your cam, with the sproket on. There is either a circle,or a line on the sproket. I think its a circle. On the head, there is a line. The line is on the front side of the circle that allows you to take out the cam. SLip the chain on, and then screw the sproket to the cam. Wolla!

Smackboy
07-02-2004, 07:23 PM
SLip the chain on, and then screw the sproket to the cam.

Totally understand everything now, except that the cam can bolt to the sprocket 2 ways, no markings or refrence to it in the service manual (Bought one for all 200's, in case anyone wants me to look something up). The manual just states to mark which way you took it off.

3 weelin geezer
07-04-2004, 12:32 PM
it won't matter because if you put it upside down, the valves still wont hit the piston. All that happens is that it may be trying to set off the gas in the cylinder when its on the exhaust stroke. ( I just noticed thats what was happening w/ my 185s. ) I noticed this when I looked thru the plug hole and saw that the valves were open when the cdi rotor was sending the pulse to fire the plug. I didn't see this little tidbit in the haynes manual and it has taken me..um.. a year maybe to figure out what I screwed up. I knew it had to be operator error because it ran before I took it apart. I believe this has points so, they would have to be open when the valve(s) are closed to work if you can see them on that trike. Or, if you can't see them, the camshaft should have a little pin that the points cam goes in. By the looks of it, the lobes are pointed down when the pin is at about 11 o'clock and the little circle on the edge of the cam sprocket is towards the front of the trike.

rally4x4racer
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
thanks for posting your stuff! - i just rebuilt a 110 and could not get it started - i had done the same thing - putting the rotor on 180 degrees backwards

i guess its a 50/50 chance - just wanted to let you know i figured it out when i read this post - keep up the good work

rally4x4racer
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
wanted to post this easy way to check your rotor.

assuming your cam and chain were installed correctly....

pull the plug and the pullstarter..

look in the plug hole and turn the wheel counter-clockwise, as the piston goes down you will see the intake valve pop out - as the piston moves back up to TDC this is the TDC you want your rotor to be pointing at the "fire" position.

pretty easy to tell if is 180 degrees off this way ...