PDA

View Full Version : Hpnda 250SX Starter Question

kdagenais
06-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Well I just bought a starter from Ebay for my 250SX to replace my wore out one and luck would have it the one I bought is no good. Fortunately the only bad thing with the one I received was the brushes are wore out and missing. The starter I had on the trike has 2 brush set up & is made by ND. The one that I bought from Ebay appears to have a 4 brush set up and is made by Mitsuba (excuse the spelling). When I went to my local dealer the kit they pulled out doesn't look right.
Now for the questions,Could this starter be from a Big Red and are they different? Also can I just swap the brush set from the ND starter (original from the trike) with the Misuba starter I bought?
Any help will be appreciated. I hope I can get this thing to work cause I wound up getting it for free cause the seller give me a full refund and said to keep the starter for parts.

jeswinehart
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
your quiston has my full interest kdagenais. i too got a sx starter saved over from a good buy + it has the 2 brush system ( and wore down to nothing ). my es starter i had re-built ( salty ) is a 4 brush type. both starters will apparently bolt on in place of each other but weird the changes inside.

john

kdagenais
06-22-2004, 09:37 PM
So your saying that the ES you have is a 4 brush set up. I can't tell for sure on the one I got cause they are either missing or is 2 brush set up also. But it has the locations for 4 brushes.

King44
06-22-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm having brush trouble with my 250es right now, it only has 2 brushes in it though

jeswinehart
06-23-2004, 06:43 AM
it's been awhile since i had that starter apart ,,, but if i rember correctly it seemed to be a 2 brush system only.

i'm sure i can get the brushs from honda ,,, i just have a terrible time soddering wires that small.

john

kdagenais
06-23-2004, 07:37 AM
i'm sure i can get the brushs from honda ,,, i just have a terrible time soddering wires that small.
The brush kit that I seen at my dealer Tuesday do not require any soldering. The wires are part of the kit so all you have to do is place it in the starter and good to go.
King44 can you tell me what type of starter you have ND or Mitsuba. The Mitsuba has the long bolts that hold the starter together exposed where as the ND is inside the starter housing (hidden) itself.

Howdy
06-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda did use 2 different starters for the 2509sx's and the 250es ( Big Red's ). They used both styles on both models.

Off the top of my head ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) the different starters can be identified by the way they bolt together.
The mitsibishi ( sp? ) is held together with bolts on the out side of housing. This is the 4 brush style starter.

The ND starter has the bolts inside the housing. These were 2 brush style.

The brush kits from Honda do not require any soldering. In fact they are generally VERY easy to install.

Howdy

kdagenais
06-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda did use 2 different starters for the 2509sx's and the 250es ( Big Red's ). They used both styles on both models.

Off the top of my head ( someone correct me if I am wrong ) the different starters can be identified by the way they bolt together.
The mitsibishi ( sp? ) is held together with bolts on the out side of housing. This is the 4 brush style starter.

The ND starter has the bolts inside the housing. These were 2 brush style.

That is how it appears to me.

Howdy,
Can I swap the 2 brush set up from the one starter to the on the starter that has 4 brushes? Then the 4 brush will be 2 brush set up only. The reason I am asking cause the brushes are good in the 2 brush starter and the other one has bad brushes. I just don't want to buy anymore parts that I don't need if you know what I mean.

Howdy
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
That is how it appears to me.

Howdy,
Can I swap the 2 brush set up from the one starter to the on the starter that has 4 brushes? Then the 4 brush will be 2 brush set up only. The reason I am asking cause the brushes are good in the 2 brush starter and the other one has bad brushes. I just don't want to buy anymore parts that I don't need if you know what I mean.

The brushes do not inner change. Sorry!! I may have a good starter that we could swap though.
Howdy

ATC crazy
06-23-2004, 10:58 AM
The origional starter on my SX had 2 brushes if I remember correctly. They went bad, so I ordered a brush kit for it. The kit came with 4 brushes instead of 2...which actually worked in the 2 brush starter. Good luck with your starter problems...

kdagenais
06-23-2004, 11:08 AM
The brushes do not inner change. Sorry!! I may have a good starter that we could swap though.
Howdy
Thank you for the offer but I am going to try new brushes and go from there. If it doesn't work I will be in touch.
The only problem with my original starter was the gear got tore up when the reduction gear broke cause one way clutch went bad. Another reason why you need to stay on top of the one way clutch on the SX & ES. I will keep you all posted of my progress.
Thank You all for your input.

kdagenais
06-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Just so we can make this a useful thread for later use I am posting the part numbers for the brushes on the 4 brush set up starter (Mitsuba).
1: 31206-MM5-008
2: 31201-KG7-000
I bought these from my local dealer cause I wasn't sure what the correct part numbers where when looking at parts fish. Now that i have the part numbers I see I could have saved $15.00 if bought from Service Honda. Hopefully this information will help out someone in the future cause after all that is why this site is so awesome.

Dads
06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
what did the brush kit cost from the dealer?

kdagenais
06-24-2004, 07:44 AM
what did the brush kit cost from the dealer?
It was $39.00 and through Service Honda the total was $24.00. Not serious amount of savings but definetly a difference.

broook
06-24-2004, 07:53 AM
The only problem with my original starter was the gear got tore up when the reduction gear broke cause one way clutch went bad.

just as a matter of interest, which one way clutch did you replace, the alternator or the centrifical???

kdagenais
06-24-2004, 10:40 AM
which one way clutch did you replace, the alternator or the centrifical???
I replaced the one way on the centrifical clutch (Right Side).

twkmaster
06-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I have an '85 ES and my son has an '86 SX and they both have identical starters, (Mitsuba 4 brush system). When the '86's starter burnt up the brushes, I replaced it with the one off my ES and had the old starter rebuilt at an armature shop for $24 and change including tax. I previously had spent about $35 or so on a brush kit. So, my advice is to check out a shop for an extimate on rebuild before trying it yourself. Rebuilt starter hasn't missed a lick since install. Hope that helps.