PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to rebuild the engine on Honda 185s. Questions.

StangLX302
06-22-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm getting ready to completely overhaul my 185s engine. I need you guys to help me make a list of parts to buy. I'd like to have everything together before I even start. So far, I came up with:

Complete gasket kit
New Wiseco 10.25:1 Piston Kit
New timing chain
New 200X Cam (because I want to go a tad larger than stock)
New Valve springs

Obviously, I'd replace anything else I saw wrong during tear down. What else is part of a normal over haul? Also, I own a good amount of tools, but, am I going to need any special tools?

One last thing. To make the Wiseco piston fit, they want you to bore .080" over. Is that safe for the 185s jug?

TimSr
06-22-2004, 09:25 AM
The absolute worst mistake you can make when doing an overhaul is to buy all your parts ahead of time, unless you happen to be psychic. There is no way to determine what parts you will need, or even what parts of the engine need overhauled without disassembly, inspections and measurements. If you do not know how and what to inspect, and/or measure, a good service manual listing the wear limit specifications is highly recommended.