PDA

View Full Version : Today will be my first day going out ridin on the 350x

tRiKeY350X
06-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Just thought I would let everyone know that today is the first time I will be taking the 350x out. Remember I have never owned any kind of bike before so today should be fun if i dont kill myself. I have ridin it up and down the driveway but never got it out of first. One problem i do have is I hate the throttle. Someone converted it to a twist and I would say a very short twist like no more than a 1/4 turn to full throttle. I almost took out a fence turning to go up the driveway because while trying to hold on i was incedently giving her some more gas. Anyone have an original thumb throttle they want to get rid of?

84250r
06-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Ride safe and get some photos! :)

BigGreenMachine
06-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Twist throttle is an easy thing to get used to but a lot of people enjoy thumb throttle too. Have fun with that 350X, from what I hear they are a ton of fun.
Is there a brand name on the twist throttle you have? Anybody know where to get a twist throttle like this?

honda110
06-20-2004, 12:05 PM
if you ride it for a while youll get used to it.

tRiKeY350X
06-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Wow, i had fun. There was a couple of bad things but not too many. I think the place my friends took me riding was not the best spot for someones first time on a bike(any). I guess I should say that im 23 and I always wanted a bike so for this summer I decided to buy one. I wanted a dirt bike but couldnt find anything around me in my range(sub 1500), quads were way to expensive and I just thought it would feel like driving a car. So i picked up an cherry 85 350x for $1200. This bike looks newer than my friends 2003 400ex's. Let me just say this bike has so much compression it is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to kick over when its cold. Well anyway to start off the ride we had to climb a hill to get to some train track which we had to cross. I knew there was no way within my first 3 min. on the bike i was up for train tracks so I made one of my friends hop it over. After that we continued until we got to this hill we had to climb up which gave me serious seconds thoughts. It was friggin long and steep. Well right at the very top of this sandy hill there is an asphalt slab sticking out. When i was at the top I got stuck in a bad groove and sandwhiched my shin in between the slab and the tire. Thank god I bought a full set of gear cause the boots saved my from a nasty shin accident. After that everything was fine accept for a couple minor annoyances from the twist throttle, which is definitely out by the next ride. Im still lookin for a thumb throttle if anyone has one for sale. Also I need to raise the shift lever because when I have the boots on I could barely get it under the shifter and I was missin shifts. Now for the one moment I would like to forget. About halfway through the ride we have to go back to the truck because one of the quads had a flat. So here comes the train tracks again. My friends all left me behind so I had to negotiate the tracks myself(guess they figured at that point I was up to it. Well i approached the tracks popped the front wheel over the rail and slowly appoached up to the front rail. Tried given her gas to pop it over but I was too wedged in the tracks to get over. Front tire was against front rail, rear tires against rear rails and they were just spinnin. So I backed it up to try it again. Same thing got the front wheel over but this time was was more cautious about getting the back stuck so I guess I gave her a little too much throttle and she popped on me. Now having to hold on to the stupid twist throttle I ended up giving her even more gas once the front had lift trying to hold on to it. Well eventually the rear wheel popped over the front rail and it was 180 time. Right on my back followed by the beast right on top of me(still holdin on of course). It happened so fast i didnt know what hit me. Luckily for me we had kicked out far enough from the rails that i didnt land on it or I would of probably had a broken back. No damage to the bike because it landed on me. I just had some road rash from the large rocks they use as gravel around the tracks. After that everything was fine we went back out riding and I was doing really good negotiating turns and hills and everything else. I will say that most grooves on the trails suck for the three wheeler at first but then I got better at it. First time was alot of fun cant wait till next weekend. I bought a bunch of stuff to tune the bike up so I should be good to go for this upcoming weekend.

84250r
06-21-2004, 10:20 AM
You have any photos of this cherry X?

tRiKeY350X
06-21-2004, 11:32 AM
By tonight ill post some clean and dirty pics. Still gotta clean her from ridin yesterday because we didnt get back until 10

threewheelin-feelin
06-21-2004, 12:49 PM
i thought the 350x came stock with a twist trottle am i wrong?

ejc042
06-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Thumb throttle was stock on all of the three wheelers if i am not mistaken

Jeb
06-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Thumb throttle was stock on all of the three wheelers if i am not mistaken

Most were, exept for Kawasaki KXTs.

ejc042
06-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the correction on that Jeb, wasn't sure about the KXT's.

threewheelin-feelin
06-21-2004, 02:33 PM
wait a 85-86 250r has thumb trottle i thought it was twist

eh_tee_see
06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
nope, its thumb, honda sticks with the classic "twist for motorcycles, thumb for atvs"

canadiandevil2
06-22-2004, 10:10 AM
hey if you want to trade a thumb throttle for a twist i got a stock honda one ill trade ya

Darius1502
06-22-2004, 03:58 PM
The best way to learn to ride is to ride by yourself. If you ride with buddies you will always be pushed to do stupid stuff that will result in wreck.

I would hate to see this 'cherry' 350x end up like a junk pile because you did not learn to ride within your limits first. The problem with buddies is that they can push you to ride within thier limits....

Nothing wrong with pushing yourself....but get the foundation skillset first.

Darius1502
06-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Also....of all the places to ride....riding on train tracks is the stupidest...

Sorry but these kind of stories just smell of impending disaster...

use your head not your buddies ignorant ideas.

tRiKeY350X
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Also....of all the places to ride....riding on train tracks is the stupidest...

Sorry but these kind of stories just smell of impending disaster...

use your head not your buddies ignorant ideas.

we just crossed one set of tracks thats it. no one was riding down them