PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me the trike running, First time triker who is about to jump off a bridge

tRiKeY350X
06-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Ok I will try to make this as short as possible while trying to be as complete.
Never owned any kind of bike before. Now I got 2 trikes(350x and 125m) The 350x is great but the 125m wont stay running. the 125m will turn over if given full throttle and will rev up high but then die. the other scenario is if i can get it running without given her any gas she will putter along for about a min then die. I took the carb completely apart brushed everything, cleared every hole with carb clean, the thing looks brand new. Plenty of fuel is going into it and plenty comes out the drain valve. I got the bike off the original owner and it has always been stored inside but was not used the past couple of years. Sold his property(18 acres) so he gave it to me. Original documents and all. Please help me get he running I would love to ride this thing and she sounds like she will run real nice once going. Oh and I have played with all the adjustments on the carb and no adjusting will fix the problem. I have put in a new plug also. If you help me get this running then the beers on me.HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

honda110
06-19-2004, 10:47 PM
my trike had that same problem before i just took the spark plug off and cleand it off and it ran fine. i have to clean the spark plug off alot.

tRiKeY350X
06-19-2004, 11:00 PM
I did take the plug out and it was pretty dirty for never being really run. I changed it and put a new one in and it does the same thing. so its not a problem with the plug. its somewhere else

honda110
06-19-2004, 11:02 PM
have you cleaned your air filter out?

tRiKeY350X
06-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah the air filter is clean. If anything it has a hole in it, i have a new uni filter on order. I tried idleing it without the filter to see if it wasnt getting enough air but that didnt help. So i would say its getting enough air, but how would i really know,

honda110
06-19-2004, 11:21 PM
when i take my air filter out it doesnt run right because it doesnt have clean air. if theres a hole in it you might not be getting clean air.

tRiKeY350X
06-19-2004, 11:35 PM
if the trike is sitting in my driveway without the airfilter on i dont see how it would be sucking in dirty air. that would be the same as saying im also sucking in dirty air sitting in my driveway. if the bike is stationary without any real dust or dirt in the air and no wind blowing then having a filter on or off wouldnt really matter. but thats my opinion. let me know what u think

kevins750
06-20-2004, 04:24 AM
When the bike is running, is there good pressure coming out of the exhaust...I had a friend with a 110, who had the same symptoms and we took the exhaust off and fired it up....Don't run it long if it does start up...try removing the muffler and then maybe loosen the headpipe mount bolts so the exhaust can vent from there....Just a thought maybe it will work...kevin

kdagenais
06-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Hello,
When you first took the carb apart was it dirty?
The problem has to be a plugged passage in the carb somewhere. I usually take a piece of small wire from a wire brush and run it through everything. Also remove the pilot screw to but be careful you don't lose the washer and o-ring that is in there.
Just incase you don't know what the pilot screw is it is the adjust that is on the bottom of the carb by the float bowl. Be sure to turn it in and count how many times it turns cause it needs to be set where it is at usually around 2 turns. I would guess the passage for the pilot screw is plugged.
When you remove the adjuster and run the wire brush throught it you should see it come out in the throat of the carb. Keep us posted on your progress.

tRiKeY350X
06-20-2004, 08:47 AM
try removing the muffler and then maybe loosen the headpipe mount bolts so the exhaust can vent from there....Just a thought maybe it will work...kevin

No one has suggested that yet so I will definitely try that. What would be the reasoning behind why this would work, just curious.

tRiKeY350X
06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
When you first took the carb apart was it dirty?
Yes extremely it was so varnished the throttle wouldnt budge.

The problem has to be a plugged passage in the carb somewhere. I usually take a piece of small wire from a wire brush and run it through everything.
I completely disassembled the carb every nut and bolt. I brushed everything i could and made sure every single passage was clear by shooting carb cleaner into every hole i could find. I made sure it was squirting out of the passage.

Just incase you don't know what the pilot screw is it is the adjust that is on the bottom of the carb by the float bowl. Be sure to turn it in and count how many times it turns cause it needs to be set where it is at usually around 2 turns. I would guess the passage for the pilot screw is plugged. .
I know what you are refering to I did take out the screw and clear the passage. I wasnt aware about counting how many turns but I did play around trying to adjust it. Could you please tell me why the pilot screw is so important. Just want to know for personal knowledge. I am pretty sure that this area of the carb is fine though.

kevins750
06-20-2004, 11:16 AM
You said the plug was very discolored for not running very long....It could be exhaust gasses covering the plug....The excessive back pressure of a blocked exhaust will not allow the engine to expell the gasses and builds up pressure...did the plug resemble the sooty inside of the headpipe???Kevin

tRiKeY350X
06-20-2004, 12:49 PM
that is a very good reason, im going out right now to see if that works.

kdagenais
06-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Could you please tell me why the pilot screw is so important. Just want to know for personal knowledge. I am not 100% sure if this is correct but if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me. I believe the pilot jet is for the transfer from low RPM to high RPM. The adjustments changes the air flow at the transfer points (low to high).

Yes extremely it was so varnished the throttle wouldnt budge.
With you saying it was extremely varnished inside I am confident that it is a carb problem. I have had many carbs get like this and it took several tries to get it totally cleaned out. Cleaning a carb is the very first thing I do on anything that sits for long periods of time.
I would recommend soaking the carb in carb acid overnight to get it clean good. Just make sure you remove all of the rubber gaskets before putting it in.
Another thing you might want to check is see if the ghas tank has any rust inside it. If it does it might have plugged up the carb right away on you.