PDA

View Full Version : Ebaying soon, tips?

Billy Golightly
06-17-2004, 02:46 PM
As most of you guys know I've got alot of old parts trikes and some dirtbikes and what not. I guess I'm looking into getting into the "ebay parts business" to make some extra cash. Those of you that do it regularly, Give me some advice on how to go about it. I've never sold a single thing on ebay before so I'm a total newb to the selling aspect.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-17-2004, 02:52 PM
all i can tell you is,, describe very clearly, and make sure you put AS IS, in every auction.

350x'inNY
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Ditto here.... I need to rid myself of some parts for floor space!!!

Bruce

82atc110
06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
350XinNY did you check on the parts I inquired about?

Howdy
06-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Use Turbo lister to do up your auctions. It really does help out.
Make sure you get good pictures of the items. I found stuff sells better with good pictures.
I describe the parts as if I was the buyer and am looking at it.
I also put into my auction that all sales are final. I did this after one buyer wanted to return a side cover 6 weeks after the fact. He sold his machine and no longer needed it.
And as was posted before: If the part is used Be sure to state that the part is used and sold as is. Some idiots see a picture of a used part and still think that it is New.

Be sure to use the shipping calculator and wether you will ship internationally or not. Buyers are more likely to buy when they can see the shipping cost before they bid.

If you have any questions or need help you can call me.
Thanks
Howdy

atckowalski
06-17-2004, 04:29 PM
I usually do a little research before I list something. For example, do a search of the item you want to sell to see if it is a rare part, see which items sell and which do not, and for how much, so you know if it is worth listing with a reserve or where to set your opening bid etc.Timing is another thing to consider.If there are other auctions ongoing consisting of the same item and are selling high you may want to list yours right after there's just because you would know that there is a market for the item. Also watch alot of auctions and familiarize yourself with the way they operate and you should be able to make some extra cash. ;)

Mobular
06-17-2004, 06:14 PM
List the item as best as possible in the title. That's what will bring most of your buyers in.
Always use good close pictures of the item. No one wants to see your shoes or a long distance shot of the tarp that it's on!
Never hold feedback hostage! If payment satisfactory, leave feedback. He has completed his part of the deal appropriately. The buyer is then compelled to leave his, and if not, a gentle reminder usually works.

jeswinehart
06-17-2004, 07:46 PM
great advice from all post so far ! all i can add is to be able to accept paypal. out of my last 25 auctions ,,, 24 have paid by pay-pal in a day or less.
now the only draw back is that you ( like i had too ) will be laying out shipping exspense out of your pocket ( untill you requist payment from paypal and it takes about 10 -12 days to get your check ).
i use the post office , priority mail with confirmation. that way you know they received the items, you get free priority tape + some nice boxs free plus there are alot more post offices around then u.p.s. shippers
( u.p.s. shipping at hardwares + drugstores arn't gonna help you at all if item is damaged or lost - gotta go to u.p.s. service center for that )

john

mike from long island
06-17-2004, 08:22 PM
only advise ill add is (dont want to tell you how to list) but i dont go to ebay to make money. everytime i try to sell what i want it ussually doesnt sell. i have learned to list the parts at the minimum start( i think $9.98) and let the auctin run. if i have a certain price in my head, i start it like that. ie would be i sold some tri-z parts starting at $9.98. made a few bucks here and there. did ok but when i tried to sell the phase five tri-z exhaust at $150 no bids. likewise with the 250r plastic but the second time i listed them, same price started i sold them. so i figure it is hit or miss. i dont go to ebay to make money. i let ebay make it for me. hope this story helps :beer

Trike Dude
06-17-2004, 09:23 PM
I've always found it to be a good idea to make sure the auction ends early Sunday evenings. Thursday evenings seem to be good also.

TimSr
06-17-2004, 11:38 PM
My advice is to first start with inexpensive items, and get a feel for how it works, and build up a little feedback. Nobody wants to sent a $100 to a guy with no feedback. 2nd, is take Paypal. Nobody wants to wait on parts, and MO's are a pain in the butt. A lot of guys will only bid if you accept Paypal. It also give them peace of mind of an added layer of protection, especially if you have little feedback. Yes, they charge a fee, but the higher bids will more than cover it. Ship item as soon as you get payment! Nothing burns a buyer more than when he pays instantly, and the seller holds the item for a week before shipping it.
I disagree with some of the advice given. I never use "as is" in a description unless Im specifically listing the item as defective. "This does not work, and you are buying as is." Anything else should be guarenteed to be as represented. "As is" is a red flag for buyers, signaling that you wont stand behind your own description. It also doesnt protect you from anything. If you list something you will still be held to your description, and "as is" only makes people suspect you are misrepresenting it. Its easy to accidently miss something on used parts, and you should be expected to take them back if a problem is found that you didnt note. Ive had to give a few refunds, but overall, I notice I get higher prices on MY stuff compared to others selling the same items.
Also, I suggest never leaving feedback until a transaction is complete. Complete means the buyer has received product and is satisfied with it. There is nothing worse than getting burned with an unjustified negative, by people who wont even bother to contact you to work things out. Ive never left a complaint unsatisfied, and Ive never left a negative for a buyer who paid, unless I got a negative without benefit of contact which has only happened a couple of times. If you leave feedback upon payment they are less inclined to work out a problem with you. Ive gotten my best feedback from buyers that have had problems, because of the way Ive handled them. Reputable sellers will never burn you on feedback if you pay timely. Buyers can be a lot quicker, especially if youve already left feedback. When im the buyer, I leave feedback upon receiving my item, and dont expect feedback from the seller until Ive done so.
I do Ebay to put food on the table. Ive done a few transactions. Check my feedback - LeadbootUSA

Mobular
06-18-2004, 01:24 AM
HondaATC- Try not to limit the payment methods or areas to which you will sell to. This does nothing but limit your possible buyers. Personally, I avoid those who will only take PayPal, as I try to use only postal money orders. I'm sure many other buyers have reasons to not use the PayPal system. As for shipping, buyers in say Europe, and Canada are generally willing to pay more for their parts as they are simple not available in the volume that those in the US encounter, therefore they will bid more.

TimSr.- I disagree with your feedback tenet.
If you have recieved an unjustified negative, you are given every opportunity to utilise the followup feeback option. There you may challenge the negative. As for not initiating feedback, I feel it is wrong to judge one on the actions of others. To be cynical and prejudgmental of a new buyer is extremely unfair. If you have a bad experience with a repeat buyer, then by all means institute your method, with previous knowledge, but please do not take it upon youself to question a fresh buyer's integrity.
For sometime now, I have felt that eBay should introduce software that will allow the buyer to recieve feedback first, and then the seller, in logical, chronological order of the transaction. If the buyer has promptly met with all of the payment criteria, then he should recieve his positive feedback, without delay.

200xBoy
06-18-2004, 01:41 AM
This is a little tip i learned in nom. Lol. :D When you put the title put other parts also. I suck at explaining. For example. If you were selling a 350x put 350 not 200x, 250ex, 250r 300ex, 400x. So it shows up in other search's. I hope you understand as i said, I suck at explaining. :cool: