PDA

View Full Version : 200X cam positioning help

waterfowler
12-27-2002, 10:48 AM
I had to put a new valve keeper on the head so needless to say I disassembled everything. I have a clymer manual, but when they talk about putting the cam back in it just says to make sure the cam gear is positioned with the "O" at 12:00. It does not say anything about the position of the cam. One position has bost rocker arms down and the other (180*) has the rockers between intake and exhaust. (Intake just opened and exhaust would open within the next 1/4 rotation. Can someone help please. I am sitting dead in the water.
Thanks.

200xer
12-27-2002, 06:14 PM
first line up the flywheel. Then you want the cam with the bolt holes vertical and the lobes facing down. Then put the "O" on the sprocket at 12 o'clock. Took me a while to figure it out too.

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Probably about 10 yrs. ago I screwed that up myself - I was 180 degrees off and it wouldn't run after I put in rings 85 200X. But tahts much better then being 90 degrees off as you'll mosh an open valve into the piston. Just remember at TDC on the compression stroke you want both valves fully closed, and there will be play in both rocker arms.

waterfowler
12-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help. I got the beast back together and will be trying to get a heartbeat tomorrow. Probably won't sleep tonight thinking about it.
Thanks! I love this place...