PDA

View Full Version : atc 250r/500 help

gasmask
06-13-2004, 10:22 PM
i'm currently building an 85 atc 250/500...right now i'm having problems with the ignition system...when i got it together and kicked it over i did not get a spark at the plug...i removed the stator and cleaned the coils. i started getting a weak light yellow spark. so i changed the spark plug and started getting a weak blue spark...i had the stator and coil tested for resistance...they both tested within spect...i called service honda i they told me that the cdi only controls the spark timing...another honda dealer said the the cdi helps the spark...what i need to know is what do i need to get fire to this monster...what do i replace first cdi,coil or the stator unit...please help!!!

TimSr
06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
The CDI controls spark timing, and failure can result in no spark, but Ive never heard of a case of it involving a weak spark, and I dont believe its possible.
Im not familiar with the 500 specifically, but the most common culprit for a weak spark, provided plug and plug wire and boot are in good shape, is the pulser or pickup coil(I think Honda calls their a pulser) in units that do have points.