PDA

View Full Version : 500X project isn't dead

Billy Golightly
06-12-2004, 10:11 PM
(As requested from another thread)

After riding at Haspin I think I've got the motivation I need to get the 500X finished. Its really not all that far away from being complete, It just needs a few parts that are expensive. I'm trying not to rig this thing any worse then it already is, but its extremely hard not to. So, I've just had it sitting in the back of the shop. As of now off the top of my head I need the following:

Gas tank/seat rubber grommets

New Carb (The old one kind of works...but I'm having clearence problems with it between the tank and frame + the airbox assembly)

Needs all new electrical wiring harness, CDI, Coil, stator. All of this stuff was cut up and wire splices in it when I got it. I have had it running like this but it was just hanging out everywheres around from the tank and thats not cool at all.

I need front caliper (If I use the stock 350x suspension setup) and rear caliper, plus an innovative braking system that will let one mastercylinder on the handlebars control both the front and back brakes at the same time or be selectable (I've got the details worked out in my head on how to do it, just have to get done now). The reason I can only have one master cylinder is because of how the reverse kick starter works it would land right on the stock placement of the rear mastercylinder, which wouldn't be cool. Besides, a single mastercylinder working both the front and back brakes at the same time AND having the ability to be selectable and work one or the other would be super trick.

(If I still opt to go with the inverted suspension frontend, I need) Machined and Shortened 89 Inverted CR500 forks need assembly finished (I need a fork seal tool from Dennis Kirk or someone, I can't get them in at all, their a focking pain in the ass). All machining on fork tubes and internals is finished. I need custom tripple clamps for the forks. I need custom axle for the front forks and different sized bearings in the front hub to accomade different sized front axle. I need a front brake caliper/disk setup (Shouldn't be that bad, I have CR500 caliper that fits those forks already). The stock front suspension setup would be fine if I changed the 350x fork seals and replaced the fluid, but what kind of fun is stock?

If I use my Progressive suspension CR500 rear shock, I need: MAJOR modifications to the stock swingarm, or I need a new swingarm. Possible adapting from a late model 250r swingarm, I haven't looked into it a whole lot..

Need all new custom length cables for clutch and throttle. Can't decide on whether I'll use a thumb or a twist yet...

Need misc bearings and fastners (Easy stuff)

Need rear plastics. Front fender is decent shape, I have brand new Honda OEM scoops for the tank (Never even out of the package).

I need some misc. work done to the engine, things I werent aware of at the time need to be checked now, nothing really major, might even be able to do it inframe.

Well if I can get all that done plus whatever murphys law throws at me in the process, I could have it at TF05.

threewheelin-feelin
06-12-2004, 10:23 PM
is that a 350x fram with a 250r front end???

Billy Golightly
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
All componets (Minus the engine, and carb) are either 350x or modified 350x.

Well, I take that back. Rear wheels are 250R.

Billy Golightly
06-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Heres some pictures of my kickstarter and stock 350x exhaust clearence problems. Hagen made me a SWEET custom silencer, just gotta get the pipe done up now.

BigGreenMachine
06-12-2004, 10:39 PM
well it looks damn near complete, get some rear plastic and ride it like it is.

Billy Golightly
06-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I could...but I'm trying to do things right and make it last, so its taking a bit more time.

3WheelsForever
06-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Looking good Billy! Could you post some pics of the custom silencer Hagen made for ya? That sounds sweet. Is it like a performance exhaust or?

KASEY
06-13-2004, 12:34 AM
man i say 2 thumbs up!!!! glad to see another custom on its way to the finish line great job !!!!! :beer :beer

Billy Golightly
06-13-2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks Virgil, I'll try and get a picture tomorrow. It defiently is real nice. Maybe next year I can play around with it on my MX track some if I get my suspension setup.

Kasey, Maybe I'll get it finished up sometime. In all honesty it still has a LONG ways to go before it would be where I want it. I almost gave up on it before TF, was thinking of selling it. When I started out, the XR500 engine was definetly on par with the quads of that time. 400ex was the only competition. Things changed and the LTZ and then the 450 class quads came out and it wasn't as competitive as it once was. I was almost ready to give up and start a different project, but after going to haspin I figured I might as well finish it up.

ATC crazy
06-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Congrats on the work you've done on it already. The more technical, more time-consuming parts are to come is what its sounding like...

Good luck

trikerider2oo7
06-13-2004, 05:31 PM
looks like you're doin good do far...you better not try to race it in the x class though cause i'll throw you clean off the track...lol

Billy Golightly
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Heres that picture of the silencer Hagen made. Its all stainless steel and is a straight through "Cherry Bomb" design that should have a good sound to it :-)

BigGreenMachine
06-13-2004, 09:29 PM
That pipe looks real nice. Sounds like a lot of custom work has gone into this bike and lots more to come. XR's have some decent hp so with some mods you could be competitve with the new bikes. Good luck with it, hope it turns out the way you want.

timex69
06-13-2004, 09:46 PM
u n kasey should drag...i think thatd be a good race

Billy Golightly
06-13-2004, 10:03 PM
lol Kasey would kick my butt, CR500 make alot more power then the XR500.

Honda300ex
06-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Looks good Billy, How about a XR650 motor next?? lol. I want them rear wheels and tires! thats all that keeps my R from being bone stock.

200Xjapan
06-15-2004, 12:14 AM
The single master cylinder braking system is easy to make but how will you control proportioning? All you need is the longer banjo bolt from a dual rotor street bike setup and a long length of braided stainless line with the proper fittings to attach to the rear caliper.

I can get you dual piston NSR50 caliper/line/master cylinder for $60 but you will need to manufacture a new caliper tp fork bracket to make it fit.

Billy Golightly
06-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Well then general idea behind the braking setup will be to use a valve where it is selectable. Running the front, or the back will be easy. Running them both will be a bit harder because, as you said, the proportioning differences.

I think I'l'l hold off on the caliper until I decide if I'm going to finish up and use the CR500 inverted front forks. I already have a CR caliper that mounts up good on those forks.

trikerider2oo7
06-15-2004, 11:31 AM
hey honda300ex...if you want them rims and tires you can get them from Service Honda (http://www.servicehonda.com/gorder/shopping.asp)
The part number for the rims is 42701-HA5-006 and tires is 42710-HA5-671

ATC crazy
06-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Well then general idea behind the braking setup will be to use a valve where it is selectable. Running the front, or the back will be easy. Running them both will be a bit harder because, as you said, the proportioning differences.

I think I'l'l hold off on the caliper until I decide if I'm going to finish up and use the CR500 inverted front forks. I already have a CR caliper that mounts up good on those forks.

I would think you could use just about any master cylinder. You know how the single brake line splits into 2 seperate lines on a 4-wheeler by way of that "T" shaped valve? Well....find a valve with 4 inlets instead of 3...and run the fourth inlet to the rear brakes and put one of those line locks on it (the adjustable ones...so you can control the pressure).

I dont know your idea, but this is just one of mine :D

Good luck with it...

200Xjapan
06-16-2004, 08:18 AM
ATC crazy...

That wouldn't work. Left to right braking on the same end of a vehicle uses the same amount pressure but front to rear braking with the same master cylinder will need a proportioning valve. If the front brakes lockup before the rear brakes you will end up with lots of road rash :( . Connecting both ends to one master cylinder is easy but controlling the setup is a different. An aftermarket automtive proportioning valve for road racing will probably solve this problem.