PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel lightening?

hondatrikesrule22
06-10-2004, 02:33 AM
I have been reading about shaving flywheels, and is this somthing i can do myself? I have a couple extra flywheels layin around and I thought I would give it a try.Do I just take the grinder to it or what? thanx

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-10-2004, 02:42 AM
do NOT do it yourself, haha.. man, no offense but i just laughed my ass off when i read that, you must have a machine shop do it, so it can be balanced correctly, if you took a grinder to it (which is one of the stupidest things ive heard) you will most likely screw up the balance, and cause it to vibrate alot, which in turn will be real rough on your crank bearings.

hondatrikesrule22
06-10-2004, 02:47 AM
None takin lol. :D After I posted it I got to thinking about vibration. How much would it cost? Thanx

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-10-2004, 02:48 AM
im not sure, depends where you have it done, my machine shop did it for me for $30 before

hondatrikesrule22
06-10-2004, 02:51 AM
Aight cool. Thanx

350Kris
06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Or go to Ricky Stator and buy a lightened flywheel and never have to worry about it being balanced.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-10-2004, 01:53 PM
well if the machine shop does there job and actually knows what there doing then they take care of all the balancing, i know i watched them do the one for my 84 a long time ago, and they would take some off, put it on the balancer, and keep shaving a tiny bit off here and there untill it was perfectly balanced.

TimSr
06-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Its probably best to determine what you are hoping a lighter flywheel will do for you before having it done. Its one of those things like an extended swingarm. Everybody wants one, but nonone knows why. With most gains in one area, there is a loss in another.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
good point tim, i was wondering why he didnt ask what it does for your engine? , a lighter one will cause it to rev faster and have more topend, at the loss of a bit of bottom end, you can get flywheel weights which will give the motor more low end.

i think i got that right, correct me if im wrong tim.

FireHead
06-10-2004, 02:56 PM
You're right. I am a bit suspicious of the more top and bottom end statement. The two porperties youre dealing with is rotating mass and inertia. When you lighten the flywheel it will make the engine rev faster, but at the expense of lowspeed crank inertia which keeps the bike from stalling at lower speeds. The power part would come from rotating mass, as in there would be less of it, but I doubt its noticeable. You definitely notice the quicker revving and low speed stalling.

hondatrikesrule22
06-10-2004, 06:10 PM
I was reading about it on blasterhq.com. Yeah, I already knew about the gains I will get, and was just asking if this was something I could do.

Hey Tim, I thought the longer swingers were to help keep the bikes front end down? I just was wanting to have it done to help acceleration. thanx

FireHead
06-10-2004, 07:35 PM
They keep the front end down, but since they extend your wheelbase, they make it musch harder to turn. THey also make the bikes jumping manners terrible the farther out you go. You also need to revavle and spring your rear shock with a longer swing arm.