PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 question!

Radek86
06-08-2004, 10:01 PM
okay, I'm new to this three/four wheeler stuff, but anyway.. on my yamaha 225DX motor thier is a increase/decrease adjustment screw loacated under and by the dipstick for the oil! What is it, and what does it do? mine is seized up! is it to do with the tranny? why I'm wondering this is cuz my tranny has been slipping in and out of Gear! I've been told to find out what the increase/decrease screw is first before I tear it apart!

Trikeaholic
06-08-2004, 10:44 PM
that screw compensates for worn or wearing clutch discs. There should be a locknut on it. get a manual for it, and it will 'splain it to you.

Radek86
06-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Awsome, I totaly understand what you mean!!! :beer . like I said my tranny is slippin' so I'm guessin that I'll need to adjust the screw! the only thing is its seized in thier. I got another 225 motor in my garage, and the screw moves perfectly in or out, so what would you do to unseize it? I don't want to snap it (someone already striped the screw a bit). so...... I think I'll take it apart and soak it with WD-40 or somethin! but thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200xBoy
06-09-2004, 01:42 AM
one quick question what kinda oil do you put in the shaft axil thingy.

EZ in NZ
06-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Hypoid gear oil.....SAE80

TheOlderFox
06-09-2004, 08:00 AM
First, try to loosen the nut/screw up with a little penetrating oil. If it won't budge swap the covers between the two engines. The adjuster will help take the wear out of the clutch so it will stop slipping. Right now I am thinking to adjust, turn the screw toward increase until it is snug then back it off 1/8 then tighten down the lock nut. I am not positive about this and can check the book later, but I would recommend that you get one ifyou don't.

RacerRichie
06-09-2004, 08:05 AM
old fox has it right.
PB blaster is the skoaking oil of choice to loosen that nut/screw up.
good luck.

atckowalski
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I would remove the side cover then you should have a better chance to remove it without breaking anything.Be sure that you do not ruin the side cover gasket if you do remove it. :rolleyes: