PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's of an extended swingarm?

250RWANTER
05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I've ridden 3 wheelers off and on for some time and have never been on a bike or had one with an extended swing arm.

When are they 'necessary' or a good thing to have?

What are the pro's and con's?

Are they aftermarket, or custom made?

How do you know how far to extend it?

Is there certain terrains that its good for and certain that its not?

I do a little of everything and some situations it'd be nice....but not sure if there are any negatives or any kind of riding that you would NOT want one.

What does it normally cost to get it done?

Any suggestions or comments appreciate as always.
Thanks!

Derrick Adams
05-27-2004, 02:28 PM
I love mine. I went three inchs and it just rides great. It's alot more predictable now. Plus, we climb hills alot and the front used to be pretty light. It seems to work alot better now. I couldn't think of any disadvantages to doing it. It cost me $40 to have the swingarm cut and welded, $40 for a new chain, and I would guess at another $20-$30 to get my brake line extended. So around $100 investment.

Go for it, you will not be disappointed...

NICKG
05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
pros:
less tendency to wheelie
slows steering a a bit
allows more rear wheel travel
lessens tendency to spin out
cons:
less tendency to wheelie(you may want to be able to wheelie, especially if you put it on a low powered bike(like a 200x)
slows steering a a bit, it dulls the handle on most race bikes
allows more rear wheel travel, so you will need a revalved shock or heavy spring...
lessens tendency to spin out, also makes it harder to slide
most of the time they are heavier than stock
need a new chain
possibly new skid plate
possibly a longer brake hose
they are not usually cheap
honestly you don't really need one on a low power machine, and you should consider the terrain you ride in, if you trail ride in woods, the stocker is most likely the best wat to go(tight turns) but if you ride hills, definetly

packhamstruck
05-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I have a 4 inch exstended west cost on my one 350x, and like driving my ones with the stock swinger way better, once i redo my motor the plus 4" might have to be there to keep her down, but as of now i like stock length.
Or i just might sell the swinger and put a stock one on it.

Ace Mon
05-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I am currently building up a TRX for flattrack purposes . Three-wheelers are banned from compettioin in my area . I opted for plus two a-arms but not +1 forward . Alot of people go +1 forward when they MX race . But , this makes your machine longer and have a longer turning radius . I have opted not to shorten my swingarm (as most flattrackers do ) because I will still ride it at the local MX track . But having a shorter swingarm is also beneficial in tight turn situations . Extended swing arms help the machine go straighter . True they dont turn as well but , depending on your riding they may come in handy .