PDA

View Full Version : My 1st 2 Stroke...

350Kris
05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm a big 350x guy....I love my 350x. I've ridden in the woods of Missouri, Pennsylvania, Virginia and on the sands and dirt of Texas with my trustee X. About 5 days ago, I went out and looked at an 85 250R...just for kicks. I ended up buying it because it was in excellent condition and underpriced. My original goal was to sell it quickly for a profit of $200-$400. So I went and got it last night and brought it home. I switched out the paddle tires with the original OEM tires (25% tread left--almost 20 years old!) and headed out into the desert. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't jetted right. I was cruising in 3rd gear and then decided to give it almost full throttle. It sputtered and didn't really increase in speed. Then...holy nuts....I must have hit the midrange because the torque and sheer increase in speed I felt was awesome!!!! I actually crabbed the clutch and hit the brakes and said to myself, "Holy crap, I may have to sell my X!" Then I remembered that I hadn't even made it into 4th, 5th, and 6th gear yet. The next 10 minutes of riding sold me on the fact that I must always have a 2 stroke at my disposal. What a screamer! And the suspension was a lot more plush than I'm used to. Don't get me wrong, my trustee 350x has it's place, but probably not in the wide open desert or the dunes down the road. I'm totally new to 2 strokes and don't have a dang clue how to work on them, jet them, or anything else. Your help in the upcoming days, months, and years will be greatly appreciated!!!! Ride on!!!

atckowalski
05-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Do not sell the x's though, if you do sell them to me :D

86250RZ
05-27-2004, 12:17 PM
glad to have a new 2 stroke lover on board. I love the acceleration of a 2 stroke, you just cant beat that seat of the pants feel. Most guys on here that bad mouth a 2 strokes have never riddin one. As far as repairs go if you can do your own work on the 350x then the R should be child's play. By a dial a jet and almost all your jetting problems will be over, just make sure you get it strait before the D.A.J. is installed, then no matter where you ride or no matter the temperature all you will have to do is just turn a dial to get it right ( no more removing the carb or float bowl :D ). Good Luck and welcome to the 2 stroke world.

Yamahammer490
05-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Another one switched over from the dark side ;) . Nothing beats that midrange rush!

Troll 2
05-27-2004, 06:13 PM
350x vs 250r impressions...........

Well after working our way up threw a ATC 70, 110, 185, 200s, 2 x 200X's, 250sx, 2 x 350X's and a 85' 250r, I thought I'd give a genral impession of our current ones.
They are the 350x and 85' R..........
Being a diehard four stroke guy my whole life, this is very hard to write. I've been working on four stokes for twenty-five years. The two-stoke stuff about two years.
After riding hard-tail honda's for a while, I started to love the way they ran. Always started great, never died, could trust them to run to the moon and back. there a ride that would only leave you stranded if you forgot to add fuel. The problem was they wore thin on the backside quickly. Non or limited suspended trikes are great for cirtain things. Just going to the other side of the ranch to grab stuff, hunting for kids, joy riding, hauling yard debie, ectt... Then they reall shine when doing trials type riding like rock jumping, mounds of dirt piled high, climing extreme rutted hillsides and so on. Auto clutches were the nut's.
Then I seen my first 200x, WOW, man that thing had great looking forks, adjustible rear suspension, kick starter, and egos that fit like a dream!! The first long trail ride was like night and day. Trails that were standard before, were now only a part of riding. Just take a turn of the bars and theres a whole new world avalible. Flying threw areas that werent a great idea before, became a breaze. Man I never seen so much more country before on the old trike. The 200x was great ride. But trying things the auto-clutch did was much harder. Its a little dificult to slip the cluch when your hanging over the bars so far that your arms go backwards. Then If it stalled out on a super knarly incline, good luck. Before, just stand aside, thottle, push and let go at the top. Try that with a clutch.
Getting a 250sx seemed like a good step up. Here a report on that;
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthre...highlight=250sx
After the sx the final step would be a 350X. My ultamite goal. After begging my wife, see said fine. I traded four trikes for a great custom 350X.
Oh baby, it was very worth it. The 350x was everything I could ever ask. It had twice the power than anything before. Instant wheelies in third gear while churning both rear tires. The 350x at times is flat hard to hold on to and better be damn carfull appling power on hill's. Where tracsion is good its amaising. It will pull your arms off and gets there in a hurrie. The suspension is killer and cruises fine. On longer trips, its just super fun powering up hills. Getting a grip on the avalible tourqe is a rush. Nothing better.....................Right?
Well, having two 350X's was fine, but I had the chance to pull the trigger on a very nice water-cooled R. It was a hard desion, but always enjoy a new type trike. I was 51% for trading the beauty 350x back to it's original custom builder for the R.
I was very leary about a two-stoke. My boy races a 125 moto-X bike and the maintaince is high.
Now this is the hard part for me.
R impressions;
The 250r is a trike riders trike. There is a night and day difference between it and a 350x. I rode the 250r for two weeks straight. You just cant stay off it. The thing is so very well designed its not funny. It's twice the trike a 350x is to me. The R goes crazy fast, it will go threw the six gears in nothing flat. If you want to go from here to there its done. Try a half mile SUPER steep incline where power counts. It will be there before you. Very very awsome. Really thats only a part of it. The front end is very controlable. It will lift the front as high as you want but no further. If you want to flip it tell it to. If you want to do easilly contolable wheelies adjusting height during acelleration just tell it to. The powerband kicks in low and lpulls hard forever.
The suspension, brakes, egos, ride height are as good or better than the engine. It sits perfect, turns where ever you want it percisly, stops on a dime and starts easily.
Anyway it was hard to admitit for me, but I'm a two-stoke guy now. Its a just have to ride one to see type of thing.
I still like all trikes and glad to have a 350x for our mountain trips's, but the R is the ultimite.................for me :cool:

350Kris
05-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Wow....great insight on the last post. I'll never relinquish my 350x's, but they definetly aren't going to see the hours they used too. One question (for now) on the 85 and 86 250R. Does the 86 have any performance improvements over the 85??? In other words, if I stick with the 85, will I be sorry I didn't hold out for an 86 later?

Thanks!

Enigma
05-27-2004, 07:45 PM
No the 85 and 86's are basically the same bike. From what I have seen. Your gonna love the R. Have fun

84250r
05-27-2004, 07:48 PM
350X and 250R's have there both good and bad. You will see that through owning a 250R.

steveoreno
05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
glad to hear you love the 250r!! They really are an awesome machine! Growing up my neighbors had one and always wanted one...the times I did get to drive when I was a kid I was so blown away!! Well last year I got the opportunity to buy one myself and everyday I have the need to drive it!! I love the power, the sit your ass down and hold machine!! Glad to hear you love it! :Bounce :beer

threewheelin-feelin
05-27-2004, 09:30 PM
yeah dude 250r is sweet but keep trailprotrailpro x and if u have 2 x's keep one and sale one nice thing to have a 250r and a 350x the best of both worlds

atc krazy
05-27-2004, 11:16 PM
how much did u pay for that 250R kris

350Kris
05-28-2004, 12:19 AM
I picked up the R for $1400.....it has new rear plastic (Maier shiny) and a new FMF Fatty Pipe. Plus, it came with 2 paddle tires mounted on Douglas rims. Everything else is oringinal and in great condition. I think it was great deal.

84250r
05-28-2004, 12:36 AM
Kris,

Where are you located? I knew where a couple of liquids were for $1400 ea.

TeCaTe_MaN
05-28-2004, 01:45 AM
alright i got a story too...a long time ago, my friend had an 83 185s, the first 3-wheeler i ever rode, well after riding his 185 for so long i thought i would get a trike...i went looking and i found a guy with a 200x for cheap$$$ so after a while of having that i became a 4-stroke guy...i always said 2-strokes suck or i hate mixing gas or ill never own a 2-stroke, well after owning it for like 8 months i went riding with some of my friends that had 85 tecates in some thick mud and i couldnt leave 3rd gear or it'd bog and die and all my friends were screamin in like 5th gear around the mud track, 2 days later i sold my 200x, and got my first two-stroke, my 85 tecate...

86250RZ
05-28-2004, 11:09 AM
The 350X is an excellent trike, but there is just something about a fast 2 stroke that brings the Animal out in ya :D :TrikesOwn

350Kris
05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm located in El Paso, TX...anyone close?

ATCXman
05-29-2004, 01:11 AM
I am also a proud owner of a 84 200X and a 85 350X. I bought an 86 ATC 250R about two weeks ago. I thought my 350X was fast! WOW the 250R hauls azz. I have ridden Banshees and Raptors and 400EX but the 250 is a different animal. My 350X is definitley better in tight trails but out in the open and on the sand I can't get enough of the R. I've been looking for one for over a year at a decent price. I bought mine for $900. It is all stock except for Answer Roost Boost, I believe a DG pipe and silencer, and Maier rear fender. It came with a twist and I put a thumb throttle in place of it. It came with an extra set of wheels and tires. Still have the stock rims with stock tires! The only thing is it does not have any lights, so I have been looking for a headlight especially. It has the number plate up front in place of a headlight. Maybe it was flat-track raced, but I am not sure.

markdb420
05-29-2004, 01:12 PM
85 to 86 250r. The 86 has a better stock Carb. It also has the better to find parts for swingarm, bearing carrier and sprocket. They are the same as 86-89 TRX 250r and 400ex (bearing carrier). Just gives more choices to you on aftermarket (axles and sprocket sizes).

I started on a 70 then 200s then 200x then 85 R. I quit riding for about 10 years, then bought 400ex, then 85R, then 85 200x and now 86 350x. I still have the 400ex the 85 R and the 350x. Love them all for different reasons. The R is my drag racer, with the LA sleeve big bore 300cc and 38mm Air Stryker carb. The 400ex is my all around go getter and well, the 350x is getting put back together. I know it'll be another all around ATV. :beer

350Kris
05-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Is it possible to swith to and 86 swingarm on my 85 R?

md1985250r
05-29-2004, 09:45 PM
i believe you can but you gotta do it complete....axle,brake caliper.etc etc

but i wouldnt do all that...the 85 swinger is good , and still can get parts for it fairly easy......

trailboss
05-30-2004, 10:43 PM
think about the power of a tiger 500!!! 500cc two stroke,awsome!!!!!

86waterpumper
05-31-2004, 10:03 AM
The tiger 500 didn't have all that much power really. Obviously I've never ridden one, but it topped out at 81mph, and this was with 15/36 sprockets, and only put out 42 to 45 hp according to the mag articles I've got on it. You can get that horsepower fairly easily with a few mods on one of the big three pingers.

trailboss
05-31-2004, 12:14 PM
well i'm not up on the specks,but i heard they were crazy powerful.