PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount there own tires?

250RWANTER
05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
is it possible to mount my own tires on an ATC?
I mount my own Swampers on my truck, but not sure if the ATC would be the same or if the tires are as strong to pull them over the rim?
Seems like it would be fairly easy, but thought I'd check with you guys first.
I asked the local shop how much they charge and the said $15-$25 a tire depending on what kind of rim I have!! OUCH!
Is $33 a tire a descent price for the standard nobbies for the little 110?

Thanks!

UtahLugers
05-26-2004, 02:01 PM
I feel your pain on the cost for mounting them. I now take it down and have them break the bead (for free) and then use large screw drivers and a bar or two and take it right off. If you take your swampers off then you should have an idea about the ATC tires. It helps to have something sticking up from the middle of the wheel to push against.

TheOlderFox
05-26-2004, 02:04 PM
33 doesn't sound too bad for standard tires. I do change my own tires, but sometimes I do wonder why (ie.stiff tires) knobbies aren't bad though, you can get the sides to flex. I use a standard tire changer ($40) from Northern Tools and it helps, but I did use the pry bars before the changer.

Icarus
05-26-2004, 02:57 PM
If you mount your own truck tires, the tires on your ATC should pose no problems you havnt already encountered.

TimSr
05-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Mounting is easy. Its removal thats difficult. Lube them with soap and theyll pop right on with a couple screwdrivers.

250RWANTER
05-26-2004, 03:10 PM
I was mainly concerned with possibly ripping or tearing the tires when mounting them. Truck tires are pretty thick compared to these tires I would think.
I just didnt know if it was normal to mount your own atc tires or if it wa a no-no.
Thanks!

Billy Golightly
05-26-2004, 03:36 PM
the Automotive tire shop here in town does them for $2 a peice. Not even worth it for me to try when they can be done that cheap.

ejc042
05-26-2004, 04:05 PM
I do my own tires, not too hard. The worst parts is breaking the bead on the old tires.

JoeSuzuki
05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
I mount my own too, not too hard. I saw a mounting device at princess auto for 25$. Its on the way to my shop right now, Im sure it will be a lot easier now.

1985 200s
05-26-2004, 10:29 PM
If your trashing old tires, cut them off tight to the rim with a razor knife then use a chisel to cut bead wire. Be carefull not to get cut cutting them off. Mounting is pretty easy with a little soap. If you can't get the beads to grab to air them up put a rope around outside of tire and tighten it till tire is forced out to beads. Be carefull there too because once the beads start to seat the rope can get you.

Curtis-Tecate3
05-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Here is my trick. To pop the bead I use an old bumper jack from a late 70's american car. These jacks have a nice big square base plate that works pretty well. I place a piece of wood or cardboard on the ground to protect the wheel and then I place the edge of the jack base on the tire right against the wheel. I then jack up the car or whatever solid thing you can find. I dont go crazy with mega pressure. If it doesnt pop right away then rotate the wheel 90 degrees and go again. This has always worked for me. Just be careful and dont go wild with the jack pressure.

For mounting & dismounting the tire from the rim once the bead is popped here is the trick. First thing is that I recommend tire irons over a screwdriver. Especially if you want to keep your rims from getting damaged. Next thing is that I recommend working the tire on and off the rim frm the back or inner side of the wheel in case you scar them up it wont show as much. All one piece rims have a drop center that is essential to mounting & dismounting the tire. I press the tire down so that the bead in pressed into the drop center portion of the inside of the wheel. This will give you the needed space to start working the bead off of the rim. Same process for the other side of the bead, just a little more trouble working through the tire. To mount the new tire is basically the opposite. Work from the inside of the wheen again for cosmetic reasons. Getting the bead into the drop center of the wheel is the key.

Curtis

Beer_Smurf
05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Good advice, the really hard part is braking the bead on the old tires.
When mounting or dismounting the key for me has been to use lots of soapy water for lubrication.
Properly lubricated you can sometimes get them on and off with your bare hands.
Some tire and wheel combos are easier than others.
The stock Dunlops on my KFX400 were pretty tough but the Turf Tamers on Douglas Blue Labels from my sons Blaster were cake.
Lube Lube Lube

FireHead
05-27-2004, 08:12 PM
THere are certain tire machines you do not want to use as they can easily bend an aluminum wheel. If you buy two long tire irons out of an ATV catalog, it's no big deal. THe less side wall there is on the tire, the harder it is. If you are worried about it, get a crappy tire and wheel, then do some practicing. The last thing I can offer is that you need to always remember to use lots of lube. They make special soaps for such operations and its a good idea to buy a bottle.

Red Rider
05-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Some pretty good tips from everyone, but I need to add just one more. If you're mounting directional tires, such as paddles, make sure you put them on the proper direction the first time. Pretty frustrating when you go through all the work to mount them, only to find out that they're on backwards! I've never done that. :rolleyes:

ATC crazy
05-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Mounting is easy. Its removal thats difficult. Lube them with soap and theyll pop right on with a couple screwdrivers.

Yup....it could take hours to days before you get them off; but it only takes a couple minutes to get them on.

Just remember...If they are the stock tires on the stock wheels...they will most likely be glued on causing extra work to break.

trikerider2oo7
05-28-2004, 07:24 PM
before the station was sold, they did mine for free