PDA

View Full Version : How to and how much to sand blast a motor? Carb and cam chain problems. help please!!

jason200x
05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
First of all this is a 85 200x.
Here soon i want to get my motor done i just want it bare metal. At the same time im going to put a new clutch, rings, timeing chain,sliders, top cam gear and valve seals. Should I take off both side covers and have them sand blasted seperate, then take the top end down to 3 seperate pieces and have them sandblasted or should i bring the whoel motor in and have it all sand blasted while it still assembled THEN while i take the cases and topend off sand it down with REALL fine grit then polish it up a little and put it back together? I was thinking if i disassemble it how would i do the cases then?
How much would it bee to ge the motor sand blasted Just an extimate?

I adjusted my valve clearence and i adjusted my timeing but it still makes noises in there? any ideas on that to?

I also rebuilt the carb. I have strong compression, valve clearnce is all good, runs strong BUT i rev it up and it revs high for a sec. then it idles good for a minute or less then it dies. And when the motor gets warmer its even worse?

I know what boreing is but im not shure what exactly Honeing is could soemone fill me in?

smokinwrench
05-26-2004, 07:18 PM
How much would it bee to ge the motor sand blasted Just an extimate?

I adjusted my valve clearence and i adjusted my timeing but it still makes noises in there? any ideas on that to?

I know what boreing is but im not shure what exactly Honeing is could soemone fill me in?

I would have it ran through a glass bead machine. It is a little nicer process then sand blasting. Still the same result. If it were me I would tear the engine completley down, then reassemble the housings this will eliminate any chance of gasket surfaces getting roughed up, then have it bead blasted. Most quality machine shops should have a glass bead machine and it shouldn't cost much to have it done. I'm guessing I could do the entire engine it less then a hour at work. $50?

Are you 100% positve about your valve adjustment? I'm guessing it should have valve tolerances of about 0.001-0.003, that is paper thin. If you are 100% positive on the adjustment and timing chain is tight. Maybe a cam bearing is loose but that is just a guess and a far fetched one at that. Maybe a rocker arm is loose, I have never worked on a 200x so I'm just guessing.

Honing is the finsh process done after boring to give you cylinder the final cross hatch. In some cases if your cylinder is still in spec. you can just have it lightly honed and use the same size piston and rings or just rings if piston is in good shape.

jason200x
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
what do you guys think of my all white 85 200x haveing a bare metal motor,brake resivors and calipers,perches, and levers and kicker? then have it all slightley polished, then have forks, triple clamps, headlight rim, gas cap, grad bar and some other misc parts highley polished? and then have some stuff powder coated red should look sweet when done hope to have done in 2 or 3 months.

vartiak15
05-26-2004, 07:44 PM
it will rust if it is just bare metal right? i would think you would have to clear coat it or soemtihng

smokinwrench
05-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Bare aluminum is ok steel is bad. Just remember polished aluminum has to be polished every so often to keep its shiney appearance.

jason200x
05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
and are the front and rear calipers and resivors aluminum? Is there any special way to polish it? and whats the diffrence from buffing and polishing?

timex69
05-28-2004, 08:50 AM
i wouldnt leave it bear metal id say paint it with some shiney paint or some sort of clear coat. If you leave it just bear metal incause u ever try to paint it you will have fun cleaning it trying to get all the baked on dirt off the metal.

jason200x
05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
it harder to get baked on mud of paint then the metal. I tested a pice and then steel wooled it and it looks really nice